Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back from the SCCA National Tour in Ft. Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Apparently Mini drivers are a buncha skirt-wearin' .
    Mabye even sore losers?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Depends what Mini drivers you're refering to (I've been known to drive them from time to time).

Ft. Myers has always been fast and appagently the guy who hosts the events there can be hard to work with.

Last time I was there (|-|<-----this close to winning lol), I co-drove an HS Mini with my buddy Karter Bollmann. We were in 3rd gear 3-4 times on both days. The opening slalom I was going at least 68-70 before i hit the brakes to go to rev limiter in 2nd then back to 3rd. This is in a 2003 mini with the longer 2nd gear as well.....

Now the fast cars....well they were damn fast needless to say......

I had fun, but it was much faster than it needed to be. Not really a lot of challenging elements.

David
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    There's a lot going on with the protest. I think there is around 18 pages worth on sccaforums.com. It's not a cut and dry case of somebody wimping out about the course.

BTW, it's a Celica driver that filed the protest, not a mini driver.

Altiain, R32s sound sweet. It must be the narrow angle V6. Check out the regular VR6 on the magnaflow website. They all sound good.
    Sorry, I should have added a wink smiley to let you know I was trying to make a joke with my last comment in this thread.

Here's how I see it:

• The only documented speed reports I've seen are from Disimo's Miata (63mph) and a BSP STi (65mph), both using a GPS-based DL1 datalogger.
    • The rulebook specifies "mid 60s" for straight speeds and "45mph" for turn speeds.
    • The only "turn" I see on that course is the mid-point turnaround. I personally wouldn't define a slalom or offset gate as a "turn".
    • Based on the above two observations, I don't see the problem with the course in question. It sounds like the only verified, datalogged speeds on course were within the rulebook specifications.
    • Regardless of whether the course was within rulebook specifications or not (and I for one think it was), throwing out an entire day's worth of results is absolutely ridiculous.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I agree with both Dave and Iain. The course was fast and fun, but not the most challenging, maybe that's because it seemed to flow so well. I wouldn't consider the slaloms or even the transitions as really a turn.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Ok I am ticked off now

They posted a video of Sundays course in a ES Miata on street tires.
    There was NOTHING wrong with that course.

Thank you for listening. Please drive through.

http://video.google.com.....

It looks even better from that car. Any news on the protest?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

The protest was upheld and is now under appeal. Not sure when it will be resolved. It'll be awful if they actually strike Sunday's runs from the record.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12