Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State Inspection

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    They might do that Titus but I would figure on forking over 39.50 even for a pretest. There in business to make a living. I really don't think they will do it for nothin.
    Going back to BR's problem. I thought it was the clear marker lights he was worried about "this time" ?
    In my opinion....If I was looking to buy an older Miata with close to 200k on it. I think I would accept the fact it had some issues and spend my money getting it right rather than on a carfax report.
    As always just my opinion....
    Perhaps it is an informal pre-test that is needed in this case... Before agreeing to getting the inspection, ask the guy "are those lights gonna pass?"... if he says no, or that he can't answer that until the test begins, then you (or is it he) just failed your pre-test. Drive down to the next block and try again.

The place where I get my cars inspected is family owned and has been here forever. They would have no problem answering questions like that. In fact there was a guy there this morning asking questions about an older car he had at home.
    But Thats in Arlington and you know how far that is to drive....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

William,

I'm guessing that you're getting side markers and rear reflectors confused. Red/amber side markers are required in the rear/front (respectively) of a TRAILER. The only section I could find is this:
    20.24 Side Marker Lamps. Refer to Reference Section for lighting diagrams.

1. Required on all:
    Buses 80 inches or more in overall width.
    Trucks 80 inches or more in overall width.
    Trailers and semitrailers 80 inches or more in overall width.
    Trailers and semitrailers 30 feet or more in overall length.
    Pole trailers.

The rear reflector is integrated into your TAIL LIGHTS. Here's the section on it:
    547.325. REFLECTORS REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided
    by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole
    trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on the
    rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part of a
    taillamp.
    Don't worry about your side markers, your tail-lights would be more of a concern, but IIRC, they are DOT legal... When I worked w/ AJ, our light check part of the inspection involved headlights (high and low), signals (front and rear, left and right), parking lights, license plate lights, and brake lights.
    Last edited by Adam Payrot; 03-03-2006 at 03:51 PM.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I took it to a Good Year place around the corner a ways and got an inspection. (Saw TtT on the way there!) Got the cat good and hot on the way over.

He did a visual but never said anything about my mods. The poor guy was 6'4" at least and he had a fun time driving it for the brake check.

The car was then hooked to the dyno (He did ask first if it was FWD or RWD.)

The car was tested at 15mph, then 30mph and then retested at 15mph. He said, usually when they retest like that, they fail.

Well the car passed! Last year BAM! tested it but it barely passed on HC(ppm) by 1 point IIRC. The only thing different from last year was a sea foam treatment about 4-5 months ago. The year before it also barely passed.

Here are the numbers for those that care.

Low Speed (15mph)

HC(ppm): Standard - 159 Reading - 77
    CO(%): Standard - 0.89 Reading - 0.13
    CO2(%): Reading - 12.9
    O2(%): Reading - 2.0
    Nox(ppm): Standard - 1242 Reading - 134
    DILUTION: Standard - >6.0 Reading - 13.03

High Speed (25mph)

HC(ppm): Standard - 153 Reading - 109
    CO(%): Standard - 0.86 Reading - 0.16
    CO2(%): Reading - 13.6
    O2(%): Reading - 0.9
    Nox(ppm): Standard - 1123 Reading - 279
    DILUTION: Standard - >6.0 Reading - 13.76
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

ouch im a weee bit late on this one.

no the side markers doesnt make a difference in inspections. for all i know you can have one of those LEDs out of a cell phone blink every color and still pass for all i care. i mean, im not a bad state inspector or anything but that isnt a requirement. (like the color of your wheels for example)

also, if he went to 30 mph, thats a little high. it should be 24-25.9 mph. unless the state changed something recently which usually, changes happens slower than molasses....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Good luck with that!

If I am looking at two cars and one has a negative on the carfax it quickly moves to the #2 position on my shopping list. Or I will hammer you for a deal since it has had "issues" in the past.
    Meh, I refused to sell my Z28 to a couple people! I'd just say, "See ya later," and find someone who really wants the car!

If you haven't gone yet, the Mobil station that BAM! used to work has some cool guys there. Off 75 and Parker I think?

Front and side markers can be clear but the directionals have to illuminate amber on the front, at least that's the way it is supposed to be. The rear can be either red or amber for directionals, though I think it should be amber only IMO. Actually a lot of new cars, like the VW's, have clear side markers from factory that light up amber so you should be just fine.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    also, if he went to 30 mph, thats a little high. it should be 24-25.9 mph.
    Ooops. Yeah.. it was 25mph.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    If you haven't gone yet, the Mobil station that BAM! used to work has some cool guys there. Off 75 and Parker I think?
    that crew recently moved to another mobil lube express off arapaho somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Front and side markers can be clear but the directionals have to illuminate amber on the front, at least that's the way it is supposed to be. The rear can be either red or amber for directionals, though I think it should be amber only IMO. Actually a lot of new cars, like the VW's, have clear side markers from factory that light up amber so you should be just fine.
    Mine are white. but that isnt too big of a hassle....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12