Thread: Suzuki Swift

Default Suzuki Swift

I have found the OTM!

Suzuki's new Swift is coming to America. Don't laugh. CAR Magazine recently named it their car of the year. Apparently, it's sort of like a Japanese Mini, which must be a good thing for people who like cheap'n'cheerful transportation. I think this is much more appealing than the upcoming Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, or Nissan Versa...

But, if you’re anything like us, you won’t be bothered about driving to achieve optimal fuel consumption – this is a car that begs to be driven. In fact, the harder you drive it, the more you’ll enjoy it.

Partly thanks to its generous track and wheelbase dimensions, the new Swift is very stable during cornering. Turn-in is linear and intuitive (no need for last-minute corrections) and you can hold your intended cornering line without concern. Lift off the throttle during cornering and the rear-end gently transitions into oversteer – but only given plenty of corner speed and dynamic weight transfer. Outright grip levels are exceptionally high from the standard 185/60 15 Bridgestone Potenza RE080s.

Sounds like a winner!

S.

Wasn't the Geo Metro a re-badged Swift?

It was, although the Swift was a lot more fun than the Metro ever was. I knew a guy who autocrossed an old Swift GT. I think it only had 100hp, but it weighed like 1,900 lbs, so it was rather tossable.

S.