Thread: Interest in a 12v mister system for Auto-x days?

Default Interest in a 12v mister system for Auto-x days?

A friend of mine has built several 12v mister systems consisting of a 5 gallon bucket full of ice and water, a bilge pump, a motorcycle battery, and a misting line. We would run the mister lines around the support bars on an easy-up and use it while camping. Is there any interest for something like this for use at autocrosses? If so, let me know and i will get the parts list from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    A friend of mine has built several 12v mister systems consisting of a 5 gallon bucket full of ice and water, a bilge pump, a motorcycle battery, and a misting line. We would run the mister lines around the support bars on an easy-up and use it while camping. Is there any interest for something like this for use at autocrosses? If so, let me know and i will get the parts list from him.
    That sounds like a lot of work to haul around and set up, and it's only worthwhile if you happen to be stationary in the right spot.

lugnutjon has a small, AA battery-powered mister that holds about a liter. Works fine for him, it's portable (can be used on a corner), and it requires no setup. Sounds like a better solution to me.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    That sounds like a lot of work to haul around and set up, and it's only worthwhile if you happen to be stationary in the right spot.

lugnutjon has a small, AA battery-powered mister that holds about a liter. Works fine for him, it's portable (can be used on a corner), and it requires no setup. Sounds like a better solution to me.
    Everything goes in the bucket for transport and setup takes less than 2 minutes. The hard part is likely the transport/access of water. Both are available when camping, but would need to be transported for an Auto-X.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

A 5-gallon bucket of ice will quickly become a 5-gallon bucket of warm water in no time when it's pushing 100 degrees outside!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    A 5-gallon bucket of ice will quickly become a 5-gallon bucket of warm water in no time when it's pushing 100 degrees outside!
    Agreed... When camping, we would start by filling the bucket with ice, and then poor water over the top (to give the pump something suck up before the ice starts melting). A whole day of 100+ weather sees the mister running most of the day and you end up with half a bucket of warm water by the next morning. At that point, we just add ice from the cooler as needed. I guess for the auto cross course, a gallon jug of water and a bag of ice would be enough for the day.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Come to a couple of AX's and you will see why it isn't practical. Depending on the organization, my lawn chair may never be used because I am either running or chasing cones.
    My first season, I thought about buying an EZ-Up. Then I realized I'd never be under it. A 5 gallon bucket of ice water and a couple of towels would be much more practical.
    YMMV
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region