Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Azenis RT215/RT615 , Toyo RA-1---WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Iain, do you balance your R-comps?
    Of course. Why wouldn't you?

We run high speed events out here, and we all drive cars that are very sensitive to improperly balanced tires. If you're driving on unbalanced tires you're driving at a disadvantage.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Of course. Why wouldn't you?

We run high speed events out here, and we all drive cars that are very sensitive to improperly balanced tires. If you're driving on unbalanced tires you're driving at a disadvantage.
    Son of a !

Actually I did balance the last set of 710's.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    If you're driving on unbalanced tires you're driving at a disadvantage.
    Add this to the excuse generator!

I've never had a problem with non-balanced R-comps. I didn't realize it was a big deal. I just wonder what kind of performance advantage it really is.

Plus I get the lower rotating mass of no wheel weights (which are about as far out on the diameter as they could possibly be), lower unsprung weight, and lower overall weight.

Do you think the two offset each other?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I've never had a problem with non-balanced R-comps. I didn't realize it was a big deal. I just wonder what kind of performance advantage it really is.

Plus I get the lower rotating mass of no wheel weights (which are about as far out on the diameter as they could possibly be), lower unsprung weight, and lower overall weight.

Do you think the two offset each other?
    i dont have exact data, but id much rather have them balanced. yesh its a little less wieght but oyur tires can actually wear funny if its not balanced. i dont think youd want to do that with your expensive r comps

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    i dont have exact data, but id much rather have them balanced. yesh its a little less wieght but oyur tires can actually wear funny if its not balanced. i dont think youd want to do that with your expensive r comps
    I was definitely joking about the weight!

I don't think there will be any odd tire wear from the wheels not being balanced. They're barely ever going to be rolling straight. I think the wear will be dictated by the cornering. Plus you don't get very many miles on the tires.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

For $50 per day you can borrow my V700s or RA-1s. Mounted and Balanced.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

$50. a day? lmao
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    $50. a day? lmao
    I think I could get $50 worth in a day. Especially at the track.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Hey Billy,

How long do think R Compounds last at the track? You're doing good if you can get 12 days out of them.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Could someone enlighten me as to why you feel that "Discount sucks?"

C

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Could someone enlighten me as to why you feel that "Discount sucks?"

C
    Go buy some tires at DT it will become self evident!

For me it's the "argue the price crap" ever single time that gets to me.

Arguing the price is one issue, or when they changed the all in one price to not include lifetime balancing and not wanting to honor it when you bought your tires prior to the change. But the worst part is having to supervise the workers because they did a rotation and balance and didn't tighten the lug nuts even hand tight on any of the 4 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    Arguing the price is one issue, or when they changed the all in one price to not include lifetime balancing and not wanting to honor it when you bought your tires prior to the change. But the worst part is having to supervise the workers because they did a rotation and balance and didn't tighten the lug nuts even hand tight on any of the 4 wheels.
    They usually just over tighten them to the point where you have to have a huge breaker bar to get them off. When you see their techs using a torque wrench, don't believe it. Check it when you get home.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Guys, this is stuff that happens at every tire shop in existence. The low-paid labor may or may not get things right, and you argue the price everywhere. (Unless you're just willing to pay whatever the seller asks, in which case there's no arguing.)

I've never bought soft compound tires from them. (I haven't autocrossed in a long time, and when I did I was lucky enough to have a source of free Spec Racer takeoffs.) I always figured they were more geared to "standard" users.

When I first moved to Dallas and was broke, one of their locations loaned me two pretty decent tires for ~6 months when a large truck caliper bolt on 635 shredded the sidewalls of two of mine. They just hooked me up and asked me to come back when I had some cash to buy new tires.

You remember stuff like that.

I guess YMMV.

C

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've never had an issue with Discount either. They are always willing to help and negotiate. Only suckers pay retail!

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Guys, this is stuff that happens at every tire shop in existence. The low-paid labor may or may not get things right, and you argue the price everywhere. (Unless you're just willing to pay whatever the seller asks, in which case there's no arguing.)

When I first moved to Dallas and was broke, one of their locations loaned me two pretty decent tires for ~6 months when a large truck caliper bolt on 635 shredded the sidewalls of two of mine. They just hooked me up and asked me to come back when I had some cash to buy new tires.

I guess YMMV.

C
    So when can I anticipate they will do something nice for me??

I also had the "did you know you had 2 studs broken on your drivers side rear tire." Strange part was I was out in the shop and they looked like all the studs were where they needed to be just before the "technician" put the wheel back on my truck and the studs made a funny snapping sound.

Also just ran the "price had changed by $400 game" on my last set of R-Compound even thought I had called in the order to the store manager a week prior.

I guess YMMV.

My biggest issue with Discount is the fact that the price is always dependent on who you talk to, what day of the week it is, what time of day it is, the phase of the moon, the number of leaves on your neighbor's ficus tree, etc., etc.

Yeah, I can go down and hassle with them to get them to match Tire Rack's price... or I can just order it direct from Tire Rack and save the hassle.

As for mounting and balancing, I've had more balancing problems with the local Discount and their fancy balancing machines than I get from Kinney Tire and their old-fashoined machine. Unfortunately, balancing equipment is only as good as the operator. Kinney has skilled and experienced technicians who love cars and racing and who actually know what they're doing, as opposed to the minimum wage, pimply-faced morons at Discount.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So when can I anticipate they will do something nice for me??

<snip>

Maybe it's just you.

C

Then theres when they leave the hub centric rings off, the center caps off and occasionaly order the wrong color wheel and then refuse to get what you ordered at the price you paid.
    Discount tire is why I have Orange rims...lol

It just blows me away that you can wear out $50. worth of tire in a day, thats all....too rich for my blood.
    Last edited by Billy Blaze; 04-07-2006 at 08:53 AM. Reason: blah
    99 Miata Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12