Thread: Brake change question

Default Brake change question

I am planning on bleading the breaks anyway. Is there any problem with opening the bleeder valve while retracting the caliper piston instead of pushing the old fluid back up the line?

In the past I have always just pushed the piston in and then bled. But if you push the old fluid out anyway through the bleeder then all you have to do is get any air that may have entered out of the line/cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk
    I am planning on bleading the breaks anyway. Is there any problem with opening the bleeder valve while retracting the caliper piston instead of pushing the old fluid back up the line?

In the past I have always just pushed the piston in and then bled. But if you push the old fluid out anyway through the bleeder then all you have to do is get any air that may have entered out of the line/cylinder.
    I always crack the bleeder when retracting the pistons but that's just because that's the way I was taught.

Does anyone on your side of town have the coolie pressure bleeder cap, that's my favorite way of flushing and bleeding the brakes! I know a few of us in Tarrant county have them! :afro:

Coolie pressure bleeder cap!

Don't forget to really clean and lightly lube you caliper slider pins!

More stuff on the rear brakes!

Hmm, never seen that before. Interesting Idea. I may have to build one. I do have a vacuum bleeder though. It worked pretty good when I was rebuilding my Jeep.

Edit: Could you use a tire valve stem to do the same thing? Make the whole a bit smaller and pull it through like you would on a rim? Self sealing that way.
    Last edited by HudsonHawk; 04-12-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    We should have a pressure-bleeder-cap-making-type-get-together-party-sort-of-function-deal !
    You east side kids can't build your own???

West side Rulez!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You east side kids can't build your own???
    As soon as Altiain moves to this part of the world, we won't have to worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Don't forget to really clean and lightly lube you caliper slider pins!

More stuff on the rear brakes!

Yeah, I know about those pins. I have changed pads and rotors on my ex-Durango. And I changed pads/rotors/calipers on a friends Durango who worm them down to the FINS in the rotor. (He was wondering why it was making a grinding noise.) Those pins are very important and if they are like the Durango very easy to strip the threads on.

As soon as Altiain moves to this part of the world, we won't have to worry about it!
    So hurry up and fine me a place to live already! 1/2 to 2 acre lot, minimum 3-car garage (prefer 4-car or 3-car plus free standing shop). Oh, and some kind of house or building with plumbing to live in.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    So hurry up and fine me a place to live already! 1/2 to 2 acre lot, minimum 3-car garage (prefer 4-car or 3-car plus free standing shop). Oh, and some kind of house or building with plumbing to live in.
    Price range? You can find a wide range of what you described along 78 for anywhere from $100K to $1M.

MLS ID#: 10402616

2 acres, 3 car garage, steel outbuilding... what more could you want?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

How about this one.

MOTHER-IN-LAWS HOME IN BACK ,TWO WORKSHOPS AND HORSE BARN WITH A TOTAL OF 2.37 ACRES TO ROAM ABOUT!! $229,900

We should have a pressure-bleeder-cap-making-type-get-together-party-sort-of-function-deal !
    Bean....I thought you only took things apart?
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Price range? You can find a wide range of what you described along 78 for anywhere from $100K to $1M.
    Up to $250k. I'd be willing to stretch to ~$275k for THE absolute right place. Oh, and it has to pass the "not too ugly for the wife" test, and I'd prefer it be within 10 miles of where 78 crosses 190.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    MLS ID#: 10402616

2 acres, 3 car garage, steel outbuilding... what more could you want?
    I can't find amatch for that number in any of the MLS search databases I pull up. Can you link to a listing?
    Iain