Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The verdict is in

uh yup
    99 Miata Black

How much more would you be looking at to rebuild the entire engine?? With the recent '99 bearing failures would it be wise to take a peek at the lower end of the engine??

Just curious.

I thought the same thing.
    Gary and John both seem to think it's ok, but I guess he will know more after looking at it in person.
    It may end up that I need both done, I hope not though.
    I was quoted $2,300. for a complete rebuild.
    99 Miata Black

Well Billy what's the latest news?? What did they figure out once they pulled the head??

Thanks for asking.
    I have not heard anything yet from John, i am going to call him in just a bit to see what he has found and will report to the group.
    I am crossing my fingers, but I guess no news is good news right?...lol
    99 Miata Black

Just called John he is in the the middle of pulling the head now.
    Man I am really missing my car, I told him to take his time though.
    I would rather hiom not rush it.
    Last edited by Billy Blaze; 05-08-2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: blah
    99 Miata Black

ok got a call from Gary last night, he sid that my timing had jumped about 3 teeth and thinks this is the reason for the leakage.
    The are going to do the timing belt, water pump portion then do another compression leakdown to see if that fixed the problem.

Gary did say whatever I am doing with the oil, etc etc keep doing it because under the valve cover was the cleanest he has ever seen.
    I am using Mobil 1 10w/40 and every so often I run some Seafoam through the crank case then change the oil.
    99 Miata Black

Upon further examination (fixing the timing belt in the proper position) and re-checking the compression, it seemed to help some but the head still needs to be rebuilt.
    Oh well you can't win em all.
    Can't wait to get the car back, it will be like a new motor...lol
    99 Miata Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12