Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ProSolo National Series - 5/20/2006 - 5/21/2006 Mineral Wells

So many cars, so little time. - RIP

Beagleracing, thanks for the class change info.

I just emailed "the nicest lady in the SCCA" to change my class and it's already been done.

No more street tires for this Evo driver.
    Jim H.

So kids how was day one???

Well, I blew another air temp sensor an the way home, but managed to limp it back to Arlington. I definately have electronis issues, so I won't even try to make it back on Sunday.

Thomas, Keep after Mr. Pedroza, and don't let that pesky RX-3 catch up to you!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

It was a long hot fun day. I am in 7th place of 7. Erik S. first, three more MINIs, ratt_finkle, Ben C, and me. I think I've got the PEBSWAS thing. Problem Exist Between Steering Wheel and Seat.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Sorry to hear about your car troubles, mark52.

As for B Stock, I take back everything bad I ever said about lugnutjon's car. It's amazing what an alignment, some Konis and a fresh set of rubber will do. Currently I'm in 2nd place, .475 out of the lead, and my best time on the left course includes two missed shifts (damn 6-speed! ) I was 1.5 seconds back after the 1st set of runs this morning, and made up over a second on the class leader in the afternoon. I know I can pull off the win tomorrow, since I've got a whopping 8 total runs in the car now (all from today), and I'm, picking up huge chunks of time from run to run. It really is an impressive car to drive now that is a lot closer to being prepped for the class. It's a lot of fun to drive, as well.

lugnutjon hasn't fared as well, though. He is currently 1.2 seconds behind me, in DFL (only three cars in class).

A quick note about the event - although I had fun today, I will NOT attend another ProSolo any time soon. I had heard rumors that the Prosolo timing equipment had caused problems at other events this season, and today it went down multiple times. Jon got to sit at the tree for over 20 minutes at the beginning of the second morning heat because of timer issues. Not long after the start of the third morning heat, the timing system went down for over an hour.

It really is pathetic when the most crucial piece of equipment in the SCCA's marquee ProSolo Series is as reliable as a Yugo. We really thought long and hard about bailing on the rest of the event during this afternoon's extended clusterf***, and I definitely won't bother going to another Pro until the SCCA upgrades their timing equipment.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Sorry to hear about the car Mark! I was wondering where you were this morning.

Well It was an interesting day. Dan was flying again today and easily won CSP. I managed to overdrive the car on every run Sunday. It was a mess and the RX-3 made up the gap.

On the other hand, I know my car can be a good deal faster! I weighed the car and in race trim it weighs in at a hefty 2255 lbs. It's a pig! Time to lighten it up.

Minus all the timing problems, I had a good time.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Sigh... miatmoto isn't the only one who overdrove the car today.

I managed to run fast enough to win B Stock this morning... but I also managed to red light both of my fastest runs today, which relegated me to 2nd place. lugnutjon improved on both sides today, but not enough to catch me. At least I can take consoltation in the fact that I beat him this weekend.

C Stock finished up with Disimo in 1st, Mike Wooton in 2nd, Donnie Barnes in 3rd, Kyung Wooton in 4th, with Zack B. coming in 5th. Chris Williams ran into the same cone and red light problems that I had today, and ended up 7th of 7 in C Stock.

Lots of carnage - literally - this weekend. John Garcia's car blew its third engine in as many events. Wayne Atkins' co-driver managed to snap an axle in the STS car, but they found a replacement this morning and were able to go on to the Challenge rounds. There were also three or four other cars that had to be pushed off course today. Pro Solo is tough on your drivetrain.

Watching mitatamoto line up against Dan P. this morning was educational. The NC pulls a lot harder than the older cars, which was evident in the consistent 1-2 car lengths that Dan had by the end of the straight.

All in all it was a fun event, and the lack of timing problems this morning certainly helped move things along at a better pace today. That said, I'm not sure the Pro Solo format is for me. The tree and the drag start are fun for a little bit, but having a perfectly good run DQ'ed because you jumped the gun on the launch by five-thousandths of a second sucks.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iain, I feel your frustration. the timing system seemed to work fine on Sunday, but we had at least an hour long delay during the Challenges, I didn't get home until 8:30. I hope you give Pros another chance. IMO, they're *much* more fun than Tours. I like the element of the redlight, it makes a real factor in racing. I know your frustration, too. I redlit my last run at Walnut Ridge in BSP on a run that would have given me the win. It's frustrating but part of the game.

I learned a lot about the NC this event, too. All in all it's still very much a Miata, but we have a lot of work to do. The gearing is horrible, I was bouncing the 2nd gear rev limiter before the first kink in the straight! Just when I thought it was accelerating nicely I line up against a Porsche GT3 and then a Z06 in the challenge rounds and they suck me up in the straights in no time.

It was good to see you guys make it out and to talk quite a bit with Thomas and Mark. Sorry you had problems, Mark. You do know that in the future if your car breaks you can jump into another drivers car to finish your run. If i didn't have a co-driver you could have driven mine, but Thomas may have been able to let you finish your runs in his.

Dan

Dan, it was great to meet and talk to you over the weekend. Can't wait till you move that car into SM2... oops, I mean can't wait to compete against you again!

It was interesting to see how much the MX-5 pulled on me down the straight. I wasn't hooking up on the launch as well as the practice event a few weeks back but the Dan was pulling hard on me.

Mark, if your car is ever out of service and you need a CSP ride for an event, just let me know.

So, here's some video from the event. I got a wide angle lens so it's better than the previous stuff. These are my last 2 runs from Sat. afternoon. Couldn't really use anything except the Scandanavian flick at the end of the video from Sunday b/c of me botching all the runs and using some choice words.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19463019298407
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

^^Nice drift.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Final results are up! http://www.scca.org/Event/Event.asp?...316C0&Id=4656#

So, I've got a T by my name! Does that mean I get one of those cool Pro-Solo trophy T-shirts??? Or is this just a mistake b/c people didn't show up. Also, Since we had an "eligible" class (5 competitors), can I get contingency money from Kumho?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

actually you do get a mug! woo! I saw someone pick your up at trophy presentation, so you should get it from someone local!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by beagleracing
    actually you do get a mug! woo! I saw someone pick your up at trophy presentation, so you should get it from someone local!
    Knowing the local crowd you may want to check E-bay for your trophy!

Nice job Miatamoto!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Knowing the local crowd you may want to check E-bay for your trophy!

Nice job Miatamoto!
    LOL! Thanks guys!

So, seriously, does anyone know who picked up my trophy???
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 05-23-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12