Thread: Auto Cross Class?

Default Auto Cross Class?

http://www.dfwmiata.com/content/view/34/35/

OK, I'm still trying to figure out what other class I can run in on my Street Tires other than SM2. However, according to tailchasers article, I'm stuck in SM2

It looks to me like my mods prevent me from STS2, am I right? Is my only option to get some race rubber?

Don't get me wrong, I feel confident I can catch these Vette's with a little more seat time, more pointers from LugNutJohn, and possibly some "R" tires, but until then.....well you know, I want a trophy!
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Just run TSM2... You can trophy at SCCA until onething and sammmmmmm wake up. You'll have to run about 1.5 seconds faster than me at ER, though...[/b]

Guess there is one more option TEM. That should be a 1st place for sure.

Guess there is one more option TEM
    TEM?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

How exactly is that, general? Same car, worse index... I don't get it!

Well, you could go like the Bud Light Ladies Night commercials and get into the ladies classes for AutoX...

"Oh, reeeeealyyyyyyy?"
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    How exactly is that, general? Same car, worse index... I don't get it!
    Ok I messed up. I forgot Tire class was indexed with all the other tire classes.

Is a turbo miata eligible for a prepared class?

I don't think so. I haven't kept up the last few years, but I think he will fall into on the following:

SM2
    EM (or perhaps another mod class)

Have fun!

Go get some slicks and race against the Datsun.

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Is a turbo miata eligible for a prepared class?
    If you have not figured it out yet SCCA is anti-turbo. All Turbo's are banned in prepared after 1989 model year I think. That is one of the things that help create SM and SM2 is that there was no place in the SCCA classing at the time for a turbo car.

I tired to run BP at nationals once in the 3rd gen RX-7. The class line said Mazda RX-7. Well they got me on that little one line that said no turbos after 1989 model year. The 1989 RX-7 has won BP the last 2 years at nationals. It does not make the Corvette drivers happy at all!!!

Even in street prepared you can't do anything to modify the boost level of a car that came with a turbo. Sure you can get boost improvements based on legal mods but then fuel needs become a problem.

Most people ran EM before SM and SM2 classes came along. But a full dressed Miata does not have a prayer compared to a full tilt "real" EM 400+HP 1100 pound car.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Even in street prepared you can't do anything to modify the boost level of a car that came with a turbo. Sure you can get boost improvements based on legal mods but then fuel needs become a problem.
    That's the problem I ran into with my 7. It wasn't hard to make a lot more power with SP-legal mods, but fuel control became a real big issue, as did cooling during street use (radiator upgrades aren't allowed in SP either).

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Most people ran EM before SM and SM2 classes came along. But a full dressed Miata does not have a prayer compared to a full tilt "real" EM 400+HP 1100 pound car.
    Like Benny Dement's 3-rotor Sprite? What a car!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I saw that car on 2-wheels at a Divisional in St.Louis!!!!!!!

Default MAv-PCA TT and Auto-x

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I saw that car on 2-wheels at a Divisional in St.Louis!!!!!!!

I thought Benny's was a 13B. I KNOW our local guy Scott Mcqueen has a
    3-Rotor 20B though.

BY THE WAY>>>>>>>>>

Anyone going to the mav-pca event at the end of the month? The last one I
    went to there were only 2 miatas (myself on my 14" Azenis and another
    silver one I think on 16" Azenis). We got tromped by the STI needless to
    say, but still had fun.

http://www.pca.org/mav/ for more details.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Welcome to the board, David. BTW, nice performance at the Houston Tour this year. B Stock was a lot of fun to watch down there - between your Boxster, the S2000s, the 350Z, Pryor's RX-8, and Sipe's Z4 that class was a lot more interesting than some of the "spec" Stock classes.

Unfortunately for the Maverick PCA event, I think you might find local Miata attendance pretty light, because it happens to fall on the same day as the next local Equipe Rapide event, and I know a lot of us are chasing points in that series.

That's not to say that Maverick Region doesn't put on a good event - they do. I know I'm planning on making it to their season finale at the TMS bus lot on Halloween.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Default Re: MAv-PCA TT and Auto-x

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer
    Anyone going to the mav-pca event at the end of the month? The last one I went to there were only 2 miatas (myself on my 14" Azenis and another silver one I think on 16" Azenis). We got tromped by the STI needless to say, but still had fun.

Silver was probably onething. We'll probably all be at Equipe Rapide's autocross event other than joe.miata. Don't know if anyone's going to the TT on Saturday or not.

Default Re: MAv-PCA TT and Auto-x (and LSR-PCA Event plug) :-)

I'm pretty sure it was silver. Heck of a nice guy (and a much nicer looking car than mine). I hope to get mine cleaned up sometime this year. It's
    a shame to have a Laguna Blue R look as ugly as mine.

It's hard with so many events in TX to have them all on seperat weekends. I understand the ER points though.

Well......I'll hopefully be back up there (DFW) a few months later.

ALSO>>>>>>

If any of you are interested I have a class here in my Porsche Club that
    I use at the events now (class is called MX5). I move all the miatas (most are local club members) into their own class. Usualy about 15-20 miatas
    in my 60 car event. So if you're not busy October 10th, we'll be
    at Gulf Greyhound Park in La Marque, TX (same place as the tour).

http://www.lsrpca.com/ax/ax.html for more info. And online reg
    is through DLBRacing.com Register in X3 and I'll move you to MX5 before the event. It's something I do manualy.

David

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer
    Anyone going to the mav-pca event at the end of the month? The last one I went to there were only 2 miatas (myself on my 14" Azenis and another silver one I think on 16" Azenis). We got tromped by the STI needless to say, but still had fun.

Silver was probably onething. We'll probably all be at Equipe Rapide's autocross event other than joe.miata. Don't know if anyone's going to the TT on Saturday or not.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3