Thread: PS3 to cost $600

Default PS3 to cost $600

Yes, this news is two weeks old, but we haven't discussed it here. Does anyone think that a $500-600 PS3 is going to win Sony many fans? Especially when Microsoft will probably drop the price of the Xbox 360 to $360 (for the premium version) and Nintendo will probably bring their Revolution/Wii out for a cool $200?

Sony is either extremely arrogant, suicidal, or else they know something I don't. I know it will have Blu Ray DVD and it's a good deal, blah blah blah. My response to that is: I don't think Ferraris are particularly overpriced for what you're getting, bit I still can't afford one.

S.

Well since I bought 3 PS2's so far (from them breaking) and it being QC issues.
    I think I will wait a while to see how they are holding up and wait til the price goes down.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Well since I bought 3 PS2's so far (from them breaking) and it being QC issues.
    I think I will wait a while to see how they are holding up and wait til the price goes down.
    Sounds like the $20 Best Buy extended warranty would come in handy on that.

Seeing as I can't even justify the cost of a PS2, I have no desire to pay that much for a game system.

My boys have an original XBox and two Gameboy Advance. If they want anything else, they will have to buy it themselves.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I prefer XBox, and it was just in my price range when it came down to $150. I can't play Forza Motorsport on PS2.

I think it's suicidal of Sony to do this. There's no way most people can afford that, and if they could, they have better things to spend the money on.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

They are having some severe issues with chip yields on their cell processors. Until they get the yields up the price per chip will be outrageous. The costs get passed along....
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I'd probably love to get one for one big reason, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. But I cannot justify the price of $600, I will be waiting for a price drop like many others.
    November 12, 2005 - A new beginning
    Devil: 1999 Brilliant Black NB - Base Edition - Stock Spec

AIM ID: ZeroXR13mg
    http://zeroxr.com

As much as I hate Microsoft, I still love my 360 glitches and all
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    They are having some severe issues with chip yields on their cell processors. Until they get the yields up the price per chip will be outrageous.
    Is that in English?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Is that in English?
    Almost... It just means that when they make a batch of chips, many of them are paperweights. Makes the cost for the good ones that much higher.

Those chips are very complex and are much harder to make than Sony bargained for.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well... looks like the price of admission may not be the only problem...

Sony is really itching to get itself completely on my bad side
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Sony is preparing to make it illegal for consumers to sell used PS3 games. The plan would involve Sony adopting a licensing system whereby gamers would agree that they are purchasing a license to play a game, rather than the game itself.
    See now this is something I thought Microsoft would have thought up first.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I am for sure going to see how this all plays out.
    If they make this work, I will not buy the system...or another Sony product.
    ditto to the Microsoft reference.

XBOX 360 is looking better.
    99 Miata Black