Thread: Indy 500

Default Indy 500

Anyone watch this?
    The whole race was awesome but the final lap was fantastic, down to 6/100ths of a second.
    99 Miata Black

I watched the second half after the F1GP was over. Good race. It could have been even better if it were a merged race between Champcar and IRL. Just think of 4 more competitive teams joining the lineup. We could have a 25 car field at all the tracks!

I was able to catch the last lap on TV. I like Hornish, but I also would have liked to see either Andretti win. I guess it is probably for the best that Marco did not win because it would have been too early of a peak for his career. Seeing Michael win would have been great. Little Al, too. I hear Al Jr has had his comeuppance and is a much different man than he was in the 90s.

I hope the can merge open wheel racing back into a single series soon.

I've never missed the race. At a minimum I have listened to it on the radio from the day I was born-Literally. In our home it was always a day long event. My father was born in Indianapolis and attended numerous times in the late 40's early 50's, then my family attended the race a couple of times in the early 60's when I was 2yo and then 4yo. I knew Marco did not stand a chance. Second place on the last lap right behind the leader-That's where you want to be coming out of turn four. Always has been, always will be. Wisdom over youth. I love that track. I am not a big fan of IRL though, not enough freedom for innovation.
    It would be nice if it was still the “proving grounds”, build something fast, qualify, race. Now days the big money people demand something else, o-well. Even with the attempts to bunch up the cars, there were only 10 cars on the lead lap. Great race!
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy
    I knew Marco did not stand a chance. Second place on the last lap right behind the leader-That's where you want to be coming out of turn four.

While I understand what you are saying, I am having a hard time remembering a pass for the lead on the last lap. I dont have any proof, but I cant remember. I know plenty have come up short. I thought Marco had a chance after Hornish tried it in 3, but he had alot of speed.

I caught the last 20 laps or so. Watching the last lap was a blast!

Anyone else find that Marco came across as a whiny little in the post-race interview? I mean c'mon - a rookie finishing 2nd in the Indy 500 is quite a feat, but he seemed pretty bitter about not having won. He'd better hope he has better luck than his father, or he's going to be one angry and unhappy fella over the next twenty years or so.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

OK, Marco did stand a chance, albiet a slim one. Hornish was in the ideal place for a last lap win. (A lap ahead would be better!) But you want to pick up that draft then dive low. Hornish did a beautiful job. I give Marco TOTAL credit for his driving. He could have been a jerk and done something stupid, but he didn't. I thought he drove alot like his grandpa more than his dad. Marco looked smooth as silk all day. Edit: At that level second is first loser.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I caught the last 20 laps or so. Watching the last lap was a blast!

Anyone else find that Marco came across as a whiny little in the post-race interview? I mean c'mon - a rookie finishing 2nd in the Indy 500 is quite a feat, but he seemed pretty bitter about not having won. He'd better hope he has better luck than his father, or he's going to be one angry and unhappy fella over the next twenty years or so.
    Yeah, sort of, but you could just see the emotions running over him. At 19, being a third generation driver, watching as a car passes you for the win on the last corner of the 500? It was right there, in his hands... What a mixture of feelings. I saw him loving life and cursing it simultaneously.

At 19 I was in college, chasing girls and whining about my class load. This kid is in another universe.
    Mike Valant
    '94 Miata (daily driver)
    '03 MINI Cooper S (autocrosser - yeah I know, they're backwards! )

http://www.txwerks.com

It's the one race that my mom will always watch and pay attention to. Growing up in Albuquerque we always went for the Unser clan. Sad to see Jr. get taken out by debris, or whatever. I'm betting Michael comes back to try next year too. The last corner is where it's at, Marco learned a valuable one. To run like that at 19 is awesome. Good race!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I agree Sharpie, I think he is going to be pretty awesome after a little more experience, he could have won it in my opinion but then again...he would have looked worse than a loser had he blocked and things went bad.
    He didn't gamble and kept his head, and that shows maturity for a 19 year old.
    I think he gained a lot of respect doing things the way he did.
    That being said the other car was really fast out of the draft, that was an excellent maneuver....the Marlboro car was way fast.
    99 Miata Black