Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kumho V710 sizing & availability

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I'm going to have to wait to actually see your tires. Since I got screwed by Mister Tiretail (who shipped me the shorter version ), I doubt those monsters will even fit![/color]
    Could you just weld some extra on or exchange it? Thats bad PR after all.

Chris
    I'm sure Kestrel has tried to exchange it or he wouldn't be using the emoticon....

On a happier note I'd bet they are about as wide as the Hoosier Kestrel has now.

<muted_inner_voice>
    I'm sure no one's bothering to point out that Kestrel would have plenty of room to mount HUGE tires if he'd turn the wheels the other way...
    </muted_inner_voice>

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    <muted_inner_voice>
    I'm sure no one's bothering to point out that Kestrel would have plenty of room to mount HUGE tires if he'd turn the wheels the other way...
    </muted_inner_voice>
    Geez, I've gone through this with everyone that I've mentioned this to... guess I missed one.

No, I'm turning the wheels around correctly, and with my 225 Hoosiers, I only have about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of metal left after the hole needed to secure those wheels. I'm sure people won't believe this... nobody ever does ... but I've had Mr. Wagner (who has a TireTail) look at it and measure his, and he'll verify that my TireTail is shorter -- it is not user error.

As to trying to get a replacement, I've already drilled the holes so now I own this one. It works... it just doesn't have a lot of "extra" rooom. It is still a good product, I just tell everyone to be sure and specifically ask for the larger TireTail if you order one. There was no option when I ordered mine, or I would have asked for the larger one.

And POS Racing, your point about the 710's probably being the same size as my Hoosiers is exactly why I want to see altiain's tires first... I'm thinking the same thing as you are (or hoping at least)!

You should know by now, Kestrel, that I only say that every other week to get your lederhosen in a wad. Did you ever e-mail Sean about it? If you can work something out, I'll courier the swap the next time I go to OKC for an event.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    You should know by now, Kestrel, that I only say that every other week to get your lederhosen in a wad. Did you ever e-mail Sean about it? If you can work something out, I'll courier the swap the next time I go to OKC for an event.
    Successful lederhosen wadding. I've had so many people tell me it's "user error" that I'm...ah,er,um... a little touchy about it.

I sent an eMail to him, but never heard back. I didn't demand a replacement, since mine does work, so I guess he just took my eMail as a kind of recommendation. Anyway, for me the TireTail is a short-term (another year or two) solution -- a trailer is the best way to go if you have the room to store it -- so I'm not inclined to make a big fuss over it.

Like I said, I'm reasonably satisfied with the product and think it's a good idea. I just wish he hadn't used my order as a dumping ground for one of his less desireable TireTails. I mean, given the choice between a short tail and one about 2 inches longer on each side, is there anyone in the known universe who would ask for the short one? Why would he have assumed I was the one individual on planet Earth that really wanted that short one?

So I tell people it is a good product, but clearly and vocally advise them to request the larger tail, so that Mr. TireTail can't try to unload another short one on somebody else...

Tires are successfully mounted. Total cost was $33.25 from Goodyear. Don't ask me where the extra $3.25 came from - maybe an "aggravation fee" for having to remove 225/45/15 Hoosiers (which they couldn't mount last year, Jon ended up having to go to Discount to have them mounted) and mount these ultra wide Kumhos? They did mention that mounting them had been a real PITA when I came to pick them up.

Anyway, they're on the wheels, and I'll be heat cycling them this afternoon.

Mick, if you decide to go again, ask for Mike Lockas - that's who I dealt with. Better yet, pick up the phone and call him before heading down there - if you happen to mention to him you own four cars and four sets of wheels for one of those cars, he might be more inclined to do it for you cheaply.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Mick, if you decide to go again, ask for Mike Lockas - that's who I dealt with. Better yet, pick up the phone and call him before heading down there - if you happen to mention to him you own four cars and four sets of wheels for one of those cars, he might be more inclined to do it for you cheaply.

Iain
    I went ahead and had the tires mounted somewhere else, the tool working the counter on Monday refused to honor your price even after he looked it up on the computer to verify that was the deal you and Jon had worked out......

No wonder I don’t have any cars in the fleet with Goodyear Tires on them, I had also given that shop a shot on the Cadillac tires, and they lost that project also.

I may try them next time around, but more than likely I'll just stick with my guy.

Did you tell Mike about my adventure at his place on Monday?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12