Thread: IT Geeks!!!

Default IT Geeks!!!

My IT skills are really rusty. I need help setting up a network so all my computers can share resources and/or data.

My equipment:

1. PC running WinXP Pro
    2. Laptop running WinXP Home
    3. Laptop running Win2K

Netgear wireless router. All machines can access the router

I tried setting them all up on the same workgroup but they still can't see each other. Can someone give me step by step instructions on setting this up?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

While I don't pretend to be an IT pro... but by any chance have you upgraded the XP machines to service pack 2? When you do that it, the firewall it installs tends to shutoff just about any usefull service. Take a look at the firewall settings (control panel -> security center).
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'm no expert but...I would try right clicking,then properties, and sharing whatever drives or folders on each computer that you want them to be able to see.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    While I don't pretend to be an IT pro... but by any chance have you upgraded the XP machines to service pack 2? When you do that it, the firewall it installs tends to shutoff just about any usefull service. Take a look at the firewall settings (control panel -> security center).
    +1
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Make sure all OSes are fully patched and SPd (service pack installed). Make sure all PCs are part of the same workgroup. Then share the desired folders, and make sure File and Print sharing is enabled on each PC's firewalls. The setting is on the firewall exceptions tab. This will open the neccesary ports on the firewalls.

Let me know if you have questions and I could send you a screen shot walkthrough.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP