Thread: Lotus brings out cheaper Elise... but not for US

Default Lotus brings out cheaper Elise... but not for US

Lotus has announced the availability of the Elise S, a new entry-level Elise the company hopes will place its lightweight sportscar in arms reach of the mass market. Powering the Elise S will be a Toyota-derived 1.8L four-cylinder producing 134 horsepower. While some gluttonous power junkies may scoff at the relatively low number of ponies in this car's corral, the Elise S weighs a mere 1,896 lbs. That kind of power-to-weight ratio is good for a 5.8 second run to 60 mph. The pricetag of the Elise S will also be lightweight for Lotus, tipping the scales at just under £24,000 ($44,000 USD). North America, however, has been left off the delivery list, as the Elise S will only be available in Europe and Japan.

S.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

So what's your point, sparky? MSRP for US elise with the full 190bhp, flimsy shifter, and perennial British Build Quality is $42,990.

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    So what's your point, sparky? MSRP for US elise with the full 190bhp, flimsy shifter, and perennial British Build Quality is $42,990.
    You're right. I'm sure a version that's cheaper over there wouldn't be cheaper over here, too. Obviously the relative price difference woudn't translate across the pond. The lo-power version would cost more.

The Elise S is £4,000 cheaper than the base Elise. That's approx. $7,400. If that price difference translated, that would make the US Elise S $35,590, which would get some people's attention.

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 06-09-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Well, one could ass-u-me that from your first post, but that would deprive one of an opportunity for sarcasm.

Back on point, I can see the "repowered" Elise surfacing to distance itself from a new Esprit/Europa -- if one ever shows up here.

(Insert speculation here about US sales levels and whether Lotus can/will remain in the US...)

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    (Is Lotus NA moving enoug of its US Elise inventory to justify staying in the states?)
    Great question. If not, it certainly seems like a $35,590 Elise would help, but federalization of a new engine/model might be too expensive.

On the other end, I would think the Europa would sell well here, even if priced higher than the Exige, but what do I know? I only have a 2 car garage and won't be buying any Lotus any time soon. POS, on the other hand....

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Great question. If not, it certainly seems like a $35,590 Elise would help, but federalization of a new engine/model might be too expensive.

S.
    Not necessarily. I'd bet that the 134-hp engine cited above is the same engine as the one in the late MR-Spyder, which just happened to be rated at 140hp before the new SAE horsepower measurement procedure came into effect. This is basically the same 1.8L block as the one in the current Elise, but with a different head and no variable cam profiles. It is also an engine that is already EPA certified in the US.

That said, I don't think there is much of a business case for the Elise S in the States, regardless of how easy it would be to build one. Someone who could afford to pay $35k for a plaything could probably afford to stretch to the current Elise, or else they'd likely shop for one of the readily available, barely used Elises that are on the market for a similar price.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If they did bring it here, would it end up in CS? That could be interestring.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    I only have a 2 car garage and won't be buying any Lotus any time soon. POS, on the other hand....

S.
    Present!

Yes I would like a Lotus Elise but I plan to let some other fat guy get disillusioned with his so I can purchase it for a lower price than new.

Although the Elise sure seems like a fragile little creature, maybe a used C6 Z06 would be more better!