Thread: Rebuilt title???

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Default Rebuilt title???

I have found a good driving '94, rock steady and straight as a string up to 80 mph. I think it is an M edition, but it does not have any M badges. It has a few cosmetic blemishes, but nothing too bad. It has been repainted.

BUT, Carfax says it has a rebuilt title. Seems like it was wrecked in 2000 and a rebuilt title was issued. 60,000 miles and no failed inspections since.

What do you guys think about buying a car with a rebuilt title? I have never dealt with one before.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Can you get it cheap since it is worth considerably less than a non salvage title version of the same car.

Will your insurance company cover a salvage title car (mine will not).

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole but that's just me.

~$3000 is the asking price.

I would pay cash and would only want liability insurance. We got back home to late to call the insurance office, but I did not think about that anyway.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

More reading for you.

You have someone who can give it a good inspection?? Miatas don't take well to getting hit.

Thanks for the url. Good reading.

I do not have a used car P.I. or anyone around here that knows much about Miatas. I may be the most knowledgeable in Gainesville. But...

The car is in Arlington.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-...ms/vtr-441.pdf

Check out the definition of Salvage that the state uses.
    SALVAGE MOTOR VEHICLE: A “salvage motor vehicle” is a motor vehicle that:
    (1) has damage to or is missing a major component part to the extent that the cost of repairs, including parts and labor other than the cost of materials and labor for repainting the motor vehicle and excluding sales tax on the total cost of repairs, exceeds the actual cash value of the motor vehicle immediately before the damage; or
    (2) is damaged and that comes into this state under an out-of-state salvage motor vehicle certificate of title or similar out-of-state ownership document that states on its face “accident damage,” “flood damage,” “inoperable,” “rebuildable,” “salvageable,” or similar notation.

Just my , but I think you can find a pretty nice NA for $3k, one that hasn't been wrecked. I say go back (if you decide to) and offer them $1000 max, and explain to them why. They probably won't sell it to you for that, but the crappy part is that somebody might come and pay that much for a crashed car.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I've had 2 rebuilt titled Miata's. The first one was a 91, I ended up wrecking and totalling it. I bought it for $2600 cash, my insurance company sent me a check for $4500 after it was totalled out. The other one was my last miata, a 93 black and tan. A few months later it ended up in a hail storm, and again, I got a check for $3200 for the damage (I asked if it was close to being totalled out, and I probably had another $1500 in damages to go). It seems to me that my insurance company (State Farm) didn't really lower the value of the car just because it had a rebuilt/salvage title on it.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Depends on the condition of the car and what was done and how good of repair.
    My 92 was totalled and I bought it back and is now a project track car that runs great.

And after an unfortunate mishap last year, my current 90 could've been considered totalled according to my friend's body shop. The numbers were close that he could go either way. And that was just an 8mph collision that scraped the front bumper, and just kinked the front 5 in of the subframe that the radiator core attaches to. I was shocked that what looked like just a bumper cover and hood was almost totalled! My car drives fine...pertaining to the wreck that is.

If the price is good and you know enough to check out the car well, then I wouldn't worry about a salvage title. Just make sure you check everything out extreamly well and don't pay too much of course. My
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

if the car is straight, it alligns fine, all the body work looks good, and passes a compression and leak down, I'd buy it. I had a problem with the title of my car when I registered it, and now I'm stuck with "unknown mileage." Its rare, but some cars with dirty titles are good. I would not pay $3k for an NA with a salvage title though...$1800 max.

If somebody drove it for 5 years, I say "keep it on the road" ...I have and it's been a blast
    Winkie