Thread: Missing Engine Oil

Default Missing Engine Oil

A buddy of mine has a 350Z with 11K miles. The oil pressure guage went to 0 while driving home. Towed to the dealer and found there was very little engine oil left. This is a 6-speed car. What is the possible problem?

The dealer can not find what is wrong and top off the oil and told my buddy to drive it for another 700 miles!
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    What is the possible problem?
    It's a Nissan and it has no oil.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    It's a Nissan and it has no oil.

It either leaked out or burn out through the engine. Had he recently had the oil changed, maybe spiffy lube forgot to refill it.

Teach him how to check the oil at ever fill-up it cuts way down on the possibility of this ever happening again.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 06-21-2006 at 07:44 AM.

Our Saab appears to be consuming (but not leaking -- the garage floor is bone dry) oil. In fact, it is currently at the dealer to check the results of an oil consumption test they wanted to run over the last 1,500 miles.

If the car had oil, and it wasn't leaking out, then the engine was consuming it. Has the Nissan dealer considered running an oil consumption test similar to the one Saab is running on our car?

S.

Just to ask the obvious questions.
    Is there any oil in the coolant? Is there any smoke when running?
    11K does seem a little early to be consuming large amounts of oil. When was the last time your buddy checked the level? How often, if ever, does he check it?
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Years ago I was driving along in town here. Oil pressure went to 0. Continued rolling about a block while I debated whether to stop or not (old car -- could've been almost anything). Ended up pulling over and turned off the engine. When I got out I saw a nice oil trail dribbling from the car; checked underneath and found NO DRAIN PLUG. Thanks Quickie Lube!

Walked to a parts store, bought a plug and several quarts of oil. Re-plugged and re-filled and I was on my way. No harm done and that engine never really did consume any oil.

Thanks! Do you think the dealer is trying to do the oil consumption test by telling my buddy to drive for another 700 miles and come back?

The problem is that by doing so, the car will be over 12K and will be out of the by bumper-to-bumper warranty! I told him to get it in hand writing that they will fix the problem under warranty when he takes the car back after 700 miles .

I had a chance to look over the car early this AM in the dark. It ran smooth both at idle and full throttle, and did not smoke at either setting. It drove smooth and the tranny seemed fine. The only thing I saw was the coolant was low a brand new car!. It was dark and I could not see if oil is in the coolant.

I think it is possible that the grease monkey at the dealer did not put enough oil in it at last oil change. Anyway, it only had a little over 4K miles since last oil change. You think it is fair to get the dealer to give my buddy an extended full warranty of the engine?

Gab
    Gabriel

Wouldn't the engine be covered under the power-train warranty??

I think you need to teach you buddy how to use a dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Wouldn't the engine be covered under the power-train warranty??

I think you need to teach you buddy how to use a dipstick.
    And the Nissan warranty is just like the new Mazda one... 3/36 bumper to bumper, 5/60 drivetrain. Is the 350Z warranty different than the rest of their lineup?