Thread: Thompson Air Horn

Default Thompson Air Horn

Anyone have any experience with this little bugger? LINK

The horn on my car isn't the OEM one. It may be worse - if that's possible.

Craig

Not me, but I would be interested to see how it works out
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Hey CraiginTX did you order one of these???

Not yet, but probably will. I'll honk when I do...

Default Air today, gone tomorrow

Not on the Miata but several of my friends have installed them on their motorcycles and are very happy.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Just ordered one of these airhorns. Just call me a local guinea pig.

I'll report back when it's installed and ready to scream.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX
    Anyone have any experience with this little bugger? LINK
    Craig
    Looks like a Stebel Nautilus. .... If you search around stebel's site (given in another post) http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm under products->elettropneumatics->nautilus_series, there's a sound sample.

While I'm not convinced it's actually 139db, it IS loud enough that people pay attention.

I'm QUITE happy with mine.

Miata.net review page:
    http://www.miata.net/products/pmisc/stebel.html
    Last edited by rold5; 07-09-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    They look nice and compact... better than that mess of tubes and wires I had under my hood at one time.
    Dude... I think that was your engine...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r

Great, I'm thinking about one of these for the RX-7. Can't wait to hear about it.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Well???

Just arrived today, sparky. The shipping took a bit longer than I'd expected...

I will note that it came well-packed. The box also included various tidbits of mounting hardware, a few electrical bits (relay, extra wiring, 20A fuse), and detailed install instructions which include photos. Might just install it in the parking lot at BJ's this evening.
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Well, as promised, the Thompson setup is most definitely LOUD! I can't do more than tap the horn button in the parking lot for fear of another noise complaint.

There were some superfluous parts in the kit. The relay and something that looks like a tiny, plastic recirc valve go unused...at least in my NA.

Install for the NB and NC look like they'd be straight forward and easy. For the NA, however, you'd best have some long arms and skinny wrists. The horns and compressor, which are a single unit, need to be put into the mouth of the front bumper cover to get to their final resting place, as they won't fit through the holes in the upper radiator support structure (where the hood latch mechanism resides). You'll need to have one hand going between the bumper cover and rad support to hold the assembly in place while the other arm goes through the bumper mouth and up roughly to where the cooling lines are.
    The airhorn is held in place by a bolt also used to hold the cooling line in place, and getting the bolt threaded is a bit on the awkward side. A spotter would be very handy for the NA install in my opinion. I had a tough time seeing the bolt hole while both hands were in the places I mentioned above.

Install took longer than I'd expected, but all the needed parts were sent with the kit, and the wail of the horns should more than make up for the grime on my right arm. Looks like a much cleaner install than the Crazy Red Italian kits I've seen. If you want to take a peek or just hear the horns, let me know. I'm sometimes out & about...

If you want to take a peek or just hear the horns, let me know. I'm sometimes out & about...
    Show up next Wednesday night in Plano!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The ride in to work this morning was...interesting. I now know why a relay was included in the kit. I'll need to add that this weekend at some point, because this horn apparently draws more current than my first car amp did. Craziness, I say!