Thread: Speaking of Hallett.......

Default Speaking of Hallett.......

This past weekend was the 19th running of the SCCA FireCracker Grand Prix at Hallett, and my first time in a racecar in almost two years, not to mention having not raced there since 1998. Thr intent of going to this race was for my friend, Bob, and I to get enough races to maintain our licenses for the coming year. I needed two and Bob needed four. Neither of us expected to do well, and we did exactly that, but had lots of fun doing it. I was in a 1990 Miata, and Bob in a 1999 with a restrictor plate, so the cars were pretty equal. We both raced in Improved Touring both days and Bob also raced Spec Miata both days.

Saturday IT qualifying had us well down (OK, the END of the pack!) with me in 24th with a 1:38.6, and Bob in 27th with a 1:42.5, out of 29 cars. This was Bob's first time on the track EVER! Next came SM qualifying with Bob at a 1:39.5. The leaders were in the low 1:31's! At the start of the IT race I gained two positions by turn 1, and started picking off cars, while continually locking up the right front, which ultimately removed most of the rubber off the tire, causing my times to deteriorate rapidly. Many of the cars I had passed, now passed me, and I saw Bob in my mirrors! With one lap to go, he gave me a nice little bump "because I could!" he explained, then passed to finish 19th, with me in 20th. The SM race was rather uneventful, as little passing occured throughout the field, but Bob finished, where he started.

Sunday IT qualifying was better, with me in 10th at a 1:35.6 and Bob in 16th with a 1:37.5. My driving was terrible during the race, as I missed third gear several times, allowing Bob to catch me, then had an "off" in turn one. I never lifted, throwing dirt everywhere, and lost just enough momentum to allow Bob to get around me. The next two laps we were nose-to-tail until my window net came down. I spent half a lap trying to get it back up, finally giving up when I saw Bob had pulled away by about ten car-lengths. I made up about half that distance in the next three laps, then Bob missed third gear and I got back in front. Three laps to go and Bob stuck his nose under me a few times, but I stayed in front. Coming in to the last turn, I had it won, but decided to have some fun. I went inside, allowing Bob the preferred line, and we went around the 180 degree turn side-by-side. I got on the power first at the apex and had almost a car length lead, but the torque of the '99 gave the advantage to Bob as we crossed the finish line 0.112 seconds apart, about half a fender. I was laughing the whole time. We finshed 11th and 12th with Bob having the fastes lap at 1:35.023 while mine was 1:35.354. Bob only ran half of the SM race, as 1:35's were no match for the rest of the Spec Miatas, and that's all he needed to get credit for the race. Besides, by then we were very tired and I still had a 300 mile drive ahead of me. We dropped the cars off at the renter's shop at 9:30PM and made it to Springtown about 10:15. I had to be up early today to come to the office, but tomorrow, I'm going to sleep in......LATE!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Sounds like a fun weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

Sweet! Sounds like ya had a helluva time! I can't wait to get up there again at the end of the month. I'm curious as to what car you were in? Just a track prepped Miata or a SM? 1:35's are pretty quick, I can't belive the SM's are doing 1:31's! I set my lap record 2 months ago with a 1:38.86 and I was thrashing the car as hard as I could to do it! Wish I could've got up there to watch, but plans kept me from getting to Hallett in June.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Fun Fun Fun!!!! Glad you both had a fun and safe trip! What did Bob think of the track when it was all done?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Awesome Merv. Glad to hear you're back! I'll have to bring my boys to one of your races when you're ready.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Nice writeup, Merv! Sounds like the Spec Miatas are amazingly fast up there.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Nice one Merv! Sounds like you had a blast!

When I get my car done, I need to see if I can talk you into some track time on a member weekend at MSR.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Sweet! Sounds like ya had a helluva time! I can't wait to get up there again at the end of the month. I'm curious as to what car you were in? Just a track prepped Miata or a SM? 1:35's are pretty quick, I can't belive the SM's are doing 1:31's! I set my lap record 2 months ago with a 1:38.86 and I was thrashing the car as hard as I could to do it! Wish I could've got up there to watch, but plans kept me from getting to Hallett in June.
    They were SM's, but not very well prepared, and the 90 I drove had a broken motor mount. The other was an old SSB car, converted to SM. 1:35's put you at the back of the pack!
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Nice one Merv! Sounds like you had a blast!

When I get my car done, I need to see if I can talk you into some track time on a member weekend at MSR.
    Not a problem. Maybe mine will be ready, too......

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    They were SM's, but not very well prepared, and the 90 I drove had a broken motor mount. The other was an old SSB car, converted to SM. 1:35's put you at the back of the pack!
    Cool, at least you still had fun! My car needed some work too last time I went and we're still trying to tune the coilovers from Keith's old car. Hopefully we can get the track car back to what it ran before we upgraded the suspension!

Man, I need some more driving school time if I want to do SM! 1:31's is freakin flying in a Miata at Hallett...at least to me!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

You need to ride shotgun in one so you can see the line they are taking... and get a feel for the car going that fast.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66

Man, I need some more driving school time if I want to do SM! 1:31's is freakin flying in a Miata at Hallett...at least to me!
    Yes, it is!!!!!!!

Anyone headed up there in October? I plan on being there and wouldn't mind driving up with some other metromess miataphiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    Anyone headed up there in October? I plan on being there and wouldn't mind driving up with some other metromess miataphiles.
    I have family 15 minutes from the track so I go to Hallett at least every other month for their HST series. I plan on going to the Miata's at Hallett again as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    This is for the Arkansas Miata Club track day, right? If I still have a Miata then, I plan on going.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'll be there...

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    You need to ride shotgun in one so you can see the line they are taking... and get a feel for the car going that fast.
    Ya, I took about a full second off my time around MSR after riding with Keith Verges a few times. Holy crap his turbo SM is amazing!

Haven't done that at Hallett, guess I can try to add that to the schedule when I go up in 2 weeks.