Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SCCA Caroll Smith Memorial Autocross - July 23, 2006

Seems to me a lot of drivers just makes it more important to split into 3 heats; I'm with onething here. Splitting into 3 groups would've made the groups and total time smaller. Didn't time my driving sessions but I know I worked 2-1/2 hours in the morning and just under an hour in the afternoon. If we were in 3 groups I think it would've been more like a single work session of 2 to 2-1/4 hours.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I remember at least one SCCA event that had 5 heats (and a some that have had 4 heats). My son and I worked heat 1 and I drove in heat 4 and my son drove in heat 5, I'm thinking there was about 220 entrants.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

[QUOTE=jrj512]
    BTW, I found a route out there that I prefer over 180:

- Take 20 west to FM 113.
    - Take 113 north to 3028 in Milsap.
    - Take 3028 west to 1195.
    - Take 1195 north to the Mineralring.

It only saves about 5 minutes, but it is much more pleasant. There are no stoplights.

I think I'll try this route next time. Looks like it would be a nice change after all these years that I've been going to MW!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E
    "That is how SCCA and ER do it. BMW and S2000 break into two groups, where each group runs and works in both the morning and afternoon. You get four hot passes in the morning and four more in the afternoon. I can't remember how Porsche does it."

Are the marque club events open to all drivers without regard to car make?

Steve, you must have cut out early! I don't remember seeing you during the afternoon heats. Everything OK?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Great day, lots of fun in the sun. Only to be beaten like a dog in novice by a gurl no less! Oh, the humanity!

After seeing the results, I immediatly performed a post race inspection of my beloved mata, only to discover a catastrosphic failure of my #4 hampster (Huey!). Upon reflection, his untimely demise likely occured on my first run, where in my zest for glory, I found myself bouncing off the revlimiter halfway through the first slalom (gotta remember that shifty thingy).

The other three hampsters (Louie, Dewy & Schwartz) gave their all though, and suffered only dizzyness and mild heat exhaustion. the smell of hampster sweat underhood was palatable and somewhat intoxicating...

I have thus procured a replacement rodent (Hector!) and vow revenge!

Congrats to some fine rides. Good job Jerrett, Mick, and miata-racer David (12th overall pax).

Whats up with onethings post asking about concerns over the track? Locked? Moved? While it was my first time there, and only second autox, I didn't have a problem with the course. . Five runs was nice!

I'll try and make the ER gig. As long as I don't get pegged for OT, I should make signups. Hope to see lots of ya'll there.
    SA

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce
    Whats up with onethings post asking about concerns over the track? Locked? Moved? While it was my first time there, and only second autox, I didn't have a problem with the course.
    Glad to hear you had a good time and were able to procure a replacement rodent.

Onething claims he didn't mean to post his post and it has vanished into the ether. Or that's what they tell me. We've reminded him that in the future it's best to unpost your posts before they get 6 replies.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Wait a minute haven't we done several SCCA events where we has a run/work/rest format?? Worked one heat, ran one heat, and had the other heat open. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Think they did the run/work/run/work at this event due to the large number of peeps in attendance.

Three heat format is the norm for SCCA. Run one, work one, one open. The 2 heat format was created because there was a 'relatively' small number of folks pre-reg'd by Saturday morning. A large number of walkups made it too large for the 2 heat idea to be practical. If there were fewer walkups the two heat format would've worked fine and we wouldn't have had to split into the A/B thing. It's darn near impossible to predict the number of walk ups.

The A/B thing was an easier solution to implement than redoing the whole structure into a 3 heat format. If we didn't do the A/B thing we would've had folks working for 3 hours or more, and we didn't want anyone out in the heat that long. (~60 drivers x 4 runs = a long time) Redoing it into a 3 heat format would've caused a lot of confusion about when people run and work, so we opted for the A/B split. Not ideal, but the best compromise on the fly.

More than three heats doesn't seem to run as smooth until the numbers are consistently growing beyond 160-170 drivers. With our numbers and only three worker changes you can usually get more runs in. Everybody likes that.
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Onething claims he didn't mean to post his post and it has vanished into the ether. Or that's what they tell me. We've reminded him that in the future it's best to unpost your posts before they get 6 replies.
    If I'd known it was posted, I would have removed it sooner.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    If I'd known it was posted, I would have removed it sooner.
    Did I do that?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Did I do that?
    Time for your meds Sparky.

Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well tmanAg08 what did ya think of your first AX??

It was nice meeting you and your gf!

Was a fun event I really enjoyed the course! The SCCA kids did a great job yesterday and other than the occasional FSAE car dead on track the event seemed to go very well!

I enjoyed the heck out of it! We did have to leave early, but I got three runs in (second heat), and had a lot of fun. I managed to finish the course and not hit any cones on my last run, so I'll consider that a sucess. It was nice to meet you guys, I'm sure I'll see you around.

Does anybody know a guy named Frank who was there? He was in a '90 Mariner Blue, from Austin. PM me if you have any contact info for him. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Steve, you must have cut out early! I don't remember seeing you during the afternoon heats. Everything OK?
    Could not spend the balance of the day out there. Had other work related plans that conflicted to spending the entire day on-site.
    Steve

Frank Bryan......nice guy that we all give chit to a lot :)

Normally drives a F Stock LS1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by tmanAg08
    I enjoyed the heck out of it! We did have to leave early, but I got three runs in (second heat), and had a lot of fun. I managed to finish the course and not hit any cones on my last run, so I'll consider that a sucess. It was nice to meet you guys, I'm sure I'll see you around.

Does anybody know a guy named Frank who was there? He was in a '90 Mariner Blue, from Austin. PM me if you have any contact info for him. Thanks.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234