Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AC Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I have spotted this the other day, and this too.
    Wonder if this would work??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Wonder if this would work??
    Looks like a winner. I think I will be ordering this and the conversion kit shortly.

Well... MM picked up the compressor today. He was telling me about snapping a belt on it so it probably is a compressor issue...

Good luck with the install! - You can either let someone else install it or you can put in some new o-rings and install it yourself.

You may want to have someone suck all the old refridgerant out before you replace it since it's harmful to the ozone.

He also got to see the pics from the run through the Dragon's Tail. I'll get 'em scanned in later tonight (hopefully) and post a couple up.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Well... MM picked up the compressor today. He was telling me about snapping a belt on it so it probably is a compressor issue...

Good luck with the install! - You can either let someone else install it or you can put in some new o-rings and install it yourself.

You may want to have someone suck all the old refridgerant out before you replace it since it's harmful to the ozone.

He also got to see the pics from the run through the Dragon's Tail. I'll get 'em scanned in later tonight (hopefully) and post a couple up.

RJ

I appreciate it

I'll see about getting it installed tomorrow
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

If the belt burns up... well, could be a bad clutch or a bad compressor... if it just won't turn on anymore (you push the AC switch and the thing never kicks on and the engine never gets the load of the compressor) then you most likely have low or no freon due to a leak. In all my years of owning cars I've never had a compressor go bad (knock on wood)

But it does happen....

So if yours is truely bad then you can have either one that I have. I should be home Sunday sometime - not sure when. I drove the Miata for a work trip and will be Riding the Dragon early Saturday morning since my week finishes up in East TN.

Raymond
    Hmm...you say having a compressor go bad is a rare occurrence? What say you about mine then? It makes the belt squeak occasionally and makes a fairly loud buzzing type noise when on. It does work 60% of the time but cuts out randomly during the day, especially in heavy traffic/high heat. Oh yeah, with the ac on my car looses about 40% hp. I have to turn the ac off if I wish to pull out and not get run over in traffic!

* Getting it sucked dry is getting the freon removed professionally to avoid polluting the atmosphere. You can fill the system yourself with the kits and save the costs of a shop doing it.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Hmm...you say having a compressor go bad is a rare occurrence? What say you about mine then? It makes the belt squeak occasionally and makes a fairly loud buzzing type noise when on. It does work 60% of the time but cuts out randomly during the day, especially in heavy traffic/high heat. Oh yeah, with the ac on my car looses about 40% hp. I have to turn the ac off if I wish to pull out and not get run over in traffic!
    I say check your temp gauge. My my 03 will shut down the AC when the temp gets too hot... I've only had it happen on the hottest of the hot days when sitting in stalled traffic - and when it does I'll look at the temp gauge and it's way above where it normally sits... and when it cools down the AC works fine again.

As for the buzzing, both 92s that I've had did that. They worked fine on the AC. It's just compressor noise.

RJ

I say check your temp gauge. My my 03 will shut down the AC when the temp gets too hot... I've only had it happen on the hottest of the hot days when sitting in stalled traffic - and when it does I'll look at the temp gauge and it's way above where it normally sits... and when it cools down the AC works fine again.

As for the buzzing, both 92s that I've had did that. They worked fine on the AC. It's just compressor noise.

RJ
    Hmm...the temp guage has always been fine. I don't think I've ever seen the guage over normal temp even at the track during summer! And that doesn't explain the extreame loss of power with the ac on. At least the buzzing is normal I guess!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Hmm...the temp guage has always been fine. I don't think I've ever seen the guage over normal temp even at the track during summer! And that doesn't explain the extreame loss of power with the ac on. At least the buzzing is normal I guess!
    AC units are power sucking aliens... Plus you are running that damn gas with the ethanol additive now. You will notice a big difference with the AC on and that is pretty much normal. If your engine isn't in good shape and making normal power the hit on performance is worse.

RJ

MadMonkey - Did you get it installed & charged up yet? Don't forget to add oil to the system as the oil in the compressor probably ran out the lines...

Todd came by today and we ripped out the AC stuff from under the hood so he should have his running again soon! (And the project car has lost some weight too!)

RJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12