Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello World

Suspension Modder

Talking Hello World

I would just like to say hi to everyone. TurboDuane told me about this site. Previously we both worked at Microsoft together. I drive a 10th anniversary edition Miata. It's loads of fun. I will be at the flight museum tomorrow, so I should meet a few of you there. My wife will be coming too, she will be driving her RX-8, (also in blue).

Later,
    Matt

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by matt586
    TurboDuane told me about this site.

Later,
    Matt
    Well we will try to not hold that against ya!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well we will try to not hold that against ya!
    Damn that is what I was gonna say. Welcome Matt!

I drive a 10th anniversary edition Miata. It's loads of fun.
    Good choice!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Blue aint bad if you can't find a silver one.

Welcome aboard.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Welcome! I tried to steal Darron's 10AE yesterday, but he drove off to quick.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Default About time!

About time you showed up here. Hows it going? Wish I could go to the museum, but I've got a new gig at M/S but it requires weekend work .

Ya'll watch out for his wife, she's a real gearhead...really!
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    About time you showed up here. Hows it going? Wish I could go to the museum, but I've got a new gig at M/S but it requires weekend work .

Ya'll watch out for his wife, she's a real gearhead...really!
    REALLY? Does she get all dirty and greasy?????????????
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Suspension Modder

She did this week end , She changed her own oil in her RX-8. granted she put in 1 quart too many. and we had to let some oil out, but she won't make that mistake again. hehehe.

Later,
    Matt

granted she put in 1 quart too many. and we had to let some oil out
    So that involves what for an RX-8... a drive around the block?

Just rev it to redline a few times and that extra oil will be consumed.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Just rev it to redline a few times and that extra oil will be consumed.
    You guys are so right! Beat me to it......

I just had to ask the question 'cause I have this uncanny ability to get down-right filthy any time I work on a car. Doesn't matter if I'm pulling an engine or changing a tire....same thing. My wife jokes with me all the time about it. As a matter of fact, last evening a commerical came on TV with the tecnhnician closing the hood of a car he just finished working on, removed his surgical gloves and was as clean as.......well....Mr. Clean! I reacted "How come I can't do that?" She says all I have to do is go out in the barn and just stand there.......and I'll come in covered in dirt and oil. Bad thing is.....it's the truth!!!!!!! :sigh:
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Tire Warmer

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    So that involves what for an RX-8... a drive around the block?

Actually, it's not too bad on the oil usage. It's usually around 1qt every 2500 miles or so. (I change the oil at 5K intervals) Maybe a little more if I've been flogging it a bit. Trust me, It was hot outside, and the thought crossed my mind to leave it in there.

Like the spousal unit said, you bet your butt that I'll remember the appropriate quartage now!

oh, and HI!

99 10AE/04 RX8

Hi Blue,
    I doubt that an extra quart in a rotary is a big deal since there is no crankshaft/pistons to wallow in the oil. Since you guys have both Miata and RX8, how's about a comparison of them. I just can't get past the look of the RX8. I loved the last of the RX7's, but they had such terrible troubles with the turbos. Now the RX8 is back to the oiling problems of the early ones.

Roar!

Tire Warmer

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Hi Blue,
    I doubt that an extra quart in a rotary is a big deal since there is no crankshaft/pistons to wallow in the oil. Since you guys have both Miata and RX8, how's about a comparison of them. I just can't get past the look of the RX8. I loved the last of the RX7's, but they had such terrible troubles with the turbos. Now the RX8 is back to the oiling problems of the early ones.

Roar!
    IMO, from two+ years of ownership, a lot of the RX8 problems that everyone bitches about are a bit overblown. Every once in a while I have to crank it a bit longer than usual, but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't have a super early build though, so that might make a difference, and have one of the more recent ecu flashes.

Comparison:
    You can definitely tell the 8 is from the same family. Of course, it's much longer and heavier than the miata, and the suspension is much softer compared to the "hard s" on the 10AE. It's definitely a compromise between the original feel of a FD and a more family oriented car. I'd say it's happiest on a long curvy highway running at about 95.
    However, it had no problems whatsoever hanging at speed with the lonestar miatas last weekend in the curves. With the DSC turned off, it could definitely get a little tail-happy, but with DSC on is really effortless to control in almost any conditions. The limits on it are very high, which could be good or bad depending on the driver. You could potentially not realize you've overcooked it until it's entirely too late. (also fun!)

I'd hazard a guess that a miata could take it off the line because of the torqueless nature of the rotary, but it's really more of a grand tourer with excellent handling vs drag car.

I was actually considering the 8 or the Subaru WRX Sti, and decided to give up the awd and hp for more creature comforts and a much nicer skin.

99 10AE/04 RX8

Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Blue aint bad if you can't find a silver one.

Welcome aboard.

You just like the silver since it matches the color of a ladder, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast