Thread: Shift boot/Turret oil

Default Shift boot/Turret oil

I am replacing my lower shift boot on my 99 with 5speed. It has been torn for a while and smelling like a transmission shop. Do I need to check the oil level from the transmission? Has it just been spilling turret oil, or has the overall tranny level been spilled out? Also any idea on what would cause the lower boot to tear after around a year, while the top boot looks great?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I am replacing my lower shift boot on my 99 with 5speed. It has been torn for a while and smelling like a transmission shop. Do I need to check the oil level from the transmission? Has it just been spilling turret oil, or has the overall tranny level been spilled out? Also any idea on what would cause the lower boot to tear after around a year, while the top boot looks great?
    5 speed has separate oil in the turret...

6 speed doesn't.

Removed & replace the turret oil - it's probably pretty nasty in there.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Also any idea on what would cause the lower boot to tear after around a year, while the top boot looks great?
    How are your engine mounts? Just a thought.

The are two or so year old Mazdaspeed units. I guess that could be it, I have had some odd vibrations lately. I wonder if one failed. Has anyone taken a look at the longevity of the MS motor mounts?

We have not seen any MazdaSpeed motor mounts fail yet or heard of any. Not saying it can't happen, just have not heard of any. What does motor mounts have to do with the shifter boot? We have seen a ton of the small boots tearing and a half a ton of the larger boots. As heavy duty as the large boots are I am surprised they even tear at all, but they do. We keep those in stock now if someone needs one in a hurry.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog
    We have not seen any MazdaSpeed motor mounts fail yet or heard of any. Not saying it can't happen, just have not heard of any. What does motor mounts have to do with the shifter boot? We have seen a ton of the small boots tearing and a half a ton of the larger boots. As heavy duty as the large boots are I am surprised they even tear at all, but they do. We keep those in stock now if someone needs one in a hurry.

Gary
    I think the implication is that a broken motor mount would allow the motor (and in turn the transmission) move more. The assumption is that the more the transmission is moving around, the more tension is applied to the boot.