Thread: CEL code P1496...Need serious help.

Default CEL code P1496...Need serious help.

Anybody had OBD II code P1496? Egr valve motor coil 1 open or shorted??!?!

FIrst I tried cleaning passageways. Then I replaced EGR Valve and Gasket. Reset ECU, light is still on.

Any help would be appreciated guys!!

sorry guys,

i have a 1996 5 spd, if that helps with 93,000 miles.

"A" diagnostic procedure is found here:

http://www.madracki.com/miata/images/wiring/00dtc.pdf
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by ejenkins123
    Anybody had OBD II code P1496? Egr valve motor coil 1 open or shorted??!?!
    How is the wiring to the coil? Could it be open or shorted?

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    "A" diagnostic procedure is found here:

http://www.madracki.com/miata/images/wiring/00dtc.pdf
    Sweet link TC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    No kidding... just added that to the ol' favs list.
    I saved that to all my computers after finding it... Could come in real handy some day. I find it fascinating though, that I can't seem to scroll to the 1496 code... but searching for it pulls it right up.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Its made me sad that I have spent all this time and money replacing parts with new ones only to find out its a stuipid wire. Thank you guys very much. The guys at miata.net had no idea. I believe it is a short in the wire, how do I repair it???

Its made me sad that I have spent all this time and money replacing parts with new ones only to find out its a stuipid wire. Thank you guys very much. The guys at miata.net had no idea. I believe it is a short in the wire, how do I repair it???
    Based on personal experience, the most common source of shorted wires is the "pinch." To find the pinch, you must think back to the last thing you (or someone else) did under the hood.

If there hasn't been any recent maintenance, you'll need to trace the wire back to its source - identify the shorted wire first with a meter, of course, if you haven't already.

channelmaniac may be of some assistance here, as he is the resident master of interpreting the wiring diagrams and identifying shared grounds.

Print out the section on Tailchasers link on the P1496 error, it goes step by step on how to solve the problem. Voltage checks and other good stuff are listed!

Thanks TC,

EJ, I'm at work, bored stiff in a set of meetings that is expanding to an offsite event (whirly ball) and then a dinner so it will be later tonight before I get home and can look up those diagrams.

If you need help tracking wiring I'll have time tomorrow late afternoon through night - our meetings should be over by 3pm. I'm in the Lewisville area.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

OK... In a snapshot, if you get P1496 and NOT P1497 at the same time then it's not a power supply issue to the EGR valve or the valve itself.

If you get ONLY a P1496 or a P1497 and not both then it's either the valve, wiring, or control circuit. The strange thing is it tells you in that troubleshooting guide to go to step 10 which doesn't tell you how to check the valve to see if the coils inside are open... it has you skip those steps...

If you have a multimeter you want to (with the car turned off) check for continuity between the white/red wire and each of the other wires: Pink, Pink/Black, White/Green, and Violet. If you don't get continuity then replace the valve. If you do then the wires need to be checked for continuity back to the PCM. If they have continuity and the code returns after you clear it... then replace the PCM(! ouch)

It's pretty easy to check the wires for continuity. If you don't have the gear to do it, I can swing by if the car is close enough.

I just found out that I have an appointment at 5:30pm tomorrow night to meet the kiddo's new teacher. I'll have to work around that.

And yes, Bean, the Whirly Ball was FUN! I watched the ref and when he wasn't looking I was slashing the opposing team members.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Chassis Designer

Tailchaser, is the link you have up for a 2000 Miata or is there info on further down in the section for a 96.
    The reason I ask is if that is a 2000 troubleshoot then I think there may be some difference in the results in it and a 96
    Have no facts on this other than I know when I was troubleshooting my 96 ,I found out that it is basically a standalone and they made changes in the ECM and OBDII in 97
    One thing is the ECM in a 96 does not watch or check the heater circuit ,however in a 97 and up it does
    Just a thought to ponder . You guys have been doing this stuff alot longer than I have so I may be way off base