Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Screens or Home Window Tint??

Default Solar Screens or Home Window Tint??

Has anyone installed solar screens on there home?? Did it cut down on your electric bill?? Would you do it again??

This months TXU bill made me weepy.

TIA

What do they cost? They would have to be pretty cheap and have a huge effect to pay for themselves any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    What do they cost? They would have to be pretty cheap...
    I bet you they're not... otherwise I'd think we'd see more folks doing it.

I put solar tint on my windows. Definitely cuts the heat with only a very slight reduction in light transmission. I would do it again (or finish actually, as there's one window left unfilmed).

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    I put solar tint on my windows. Definitely cuts the heat with only a very slight reduction in light transmission. I would do it again (or finish actually, as there's one window left unfilmed).
    Tell me more of this solar tint! I like the sound of that better than the screens!

I'd defiantly pay more for the screens with the mutton bars (grill work) to keep the current look of the palatial Harrison Estate.

Go to Home Depot young man! It's made by Gila. You'll get really good at installing it after a few tries.

Interesting! Does this match your results Darron65??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I've never lived in a house without it in Texas, but we have one window where the film fell off... Because it only gets direct sun for about 30 minutes a day, I've been lazy... but during those 30 minutes, there's a hot spot in the hallway in front of that window.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Go to Home Depot young man! It's made by Gila. You'll get really good at installing it after a few tries.
    How much goes to waste before one's an expert?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    How much goes to waste before one's an expert?
    Figure that the first try or 2 will go bad... so learn on a small pane.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Their first assumption is "2,000 sq. ft., 2 story existing frame home, 300 sq. ft. of windows evenly divided between North, South, East, and West." My house is 2500 sq ft, single story, approx 500 sq ft of glass. I didn't look for a cost savings; I was simply looking to make the rooms comfortable behind those large windows. I got that so I tell myself it was worthwhile. I used the Platinum variety (70% heat rejection).
    As an example, the morning sun used to make a really warm spot that the cats LOVED. After tinting, I can just barely feel the warmth of the sunbeam on bare skin and the cats found new favorite spots.
    Last edited by Darron65; 08-15-2006 at 11:38 PM.

As an example, the morning sun used to make a really warm spot that the cats LOVED. After tinting, I can just barely feel the warmth of the sunbeam on bare skin and the cats found new favorite spots.
    Careful! Cats have been known to kill their owners in their sleep if you really piss them off. Our cat only keeps us around to feed him and change his litter box.

cat!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The all important question, what's the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    The all important question, what's the cost?
    Lowe's carries it!

Looks like its cheaper than the screens!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Looks like you/I will have to wait before we can install. From the Gila website -

Apply film when the temperature is between 40° and 90°F for at least three days.

Talking

Looks like you/I will have to wait before we can install. From the Gila website -

Apply film when the temperature is between 40° and 90°F for at least three days.
    So the install party will be in January, eh?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    So the install party will be in January, eh?
    October.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Just keep paying the bill.

I have stock
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast