Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hope someone will "poz up the neg hole" of Spax suspension

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I'll probably find some blown rebuildables, then move the perches and springs over to those bodies. Then be awesome. Seriously, I don't care to compromise on this issue. I'd hate to actually get out on a track for the first time in years and be in a car that pushes all over the place.

Miatas do NOT push!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Miatas do NOT push!
    That's what I was trying to tell him!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I think I'm just going to get some revalvable dampers, then weld on some threaded sleeves and use my 420/390 springs. After I learn how to blow money out of my ass, and if I actually find a real job. Will the car understeer horribly with the basics?
    With the 420 front/390 rear springs, you're gonna get bunches of OVERSTEER. Keep to the SM ratio and you will be happy No, wait, I don't think you will ever be happy
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

I'm tired of driving this car every day. I'm too big for it or something. I'm also tired of having the slowest car on the block. I've always just wanted a car that can keep up, this one cannot. I also don't handle stress well, I'm about to lose my job, have 3 increadibly painfull injuries, and i'm generally irritable.
    Sonds like a driver problem, to me............

does anyone know spring dimensiions? Apparently my father's shop can get eibach springs, all I need is the width at each end, and length. How do I calculate how much the spring will compress when teh car sits on it?

Sonds like a driver problem, to me............
    the car doesn't make enough torque to tighten the wheel lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    That's what I was trying to tell him!
    I plan for the worst...its my profession. i don't want to buy something and be pissed off that I just threw $700 in the trash because it doesn't handle.

does anyone know spring dimensiions? Apparently my father's shop can get eibach springs, all I need is the width at each end, and length. How do I calculate how much the spring will compress when teh car sits on it?
    Depends on what kind of Eibach spring. Eibach ERS springs, which I'm assuming is what you need, are normally bought with a 2" or 2.5" inner diameter.

I'm not sure how to calculate the compression of the springs, just set the coilovers, put the car on the ground, measure, adjust.

the car doesn't make enough torque to tighten the wheel lugs.
    I think you bought the wrong car, you're totally missing the point of the car. Buy the IROC Majik found for you.

I plan for the worst...its my profession. i don't want to buy something and be pissed off that I just threw $700 in the trash because it doesn't handle.
    As me and Merv were saying, worst case scenario is that you won't have terminal understeer. Plain and simple. I've done a lot of work to make my car oversteer less and it's an autocross car that I want to rotate. There is only one surface in town that I race on that I need to put the rear sway back in for.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    If you are experiencing understeer on your car, you may want to look at the rear spring rates you are running. Most people tend to have success running a much stiffer front spring than on the rear, and your stiff rear springs could add to understeer. SPEC Miatas run something like 700/325.
    Ok... Just re-read what I posted last night and I don't know what I was thinking. Merv is obviously right... your springs would add to oversteer not understeer.

This is why I was suggesting you ride in a few different Miatas on the track. It takes a lot of the guessing out. of it.

This is why I was suggesting you ride in a few different Miatas on the track. It takes a lot of the guessing out. of it.
    too bad I'm not a member. I'm probably moving to NOLA though, and the track out there is much cheaper.

I drove a car with the tein springs...and that is absolute shit.

Ok... Just re-read what I posted last night and I don't know what I was thinking. Merv is obviously right... your springs would add to oversteer not understeer.

I don't want to end up with something that makes me miserable, and is not adjustable.

I want to make the best decisions without spending more than my car is worth, and that is apparently impossible.

too bad I'm not a member. I'm probably moving to NOLA though, and the track out there is much cheaper.

I drove a car with the tein springs...and that is absolute shit.
    What kind of shocks? Was it riding on the bumpstops? Did it have upgraded shock mounts? Just b/c it was on tein springs doesn't mean much. Tires are also a huge part of the equation. Going from a Miata with good tires to one with all seasons can make a huge difference.

I don't want to end up with something that makes me miserable, and is not adjustable.

I want to make the best decisions without spending more than my car is worth, and that is apparently impossible.
    Bilsteins aren't adjustable, but you want to use them.
    Tein basics or a good shock/spring combo with the right shock mounts is a proven method of getting a good handling Miata on the cheap.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    What kind of shocks? Was it riding on the bumpstops? Did it have upgraded shock mounts? Just b/c it was on tein springs doesn't mean much. Tires are also a huge part of the equation. Going from a Miata with good tires to one with all seasons can make a huge difference.

Bilsteins aren't adjustable, but you want to use them.
    Tein basics or a good shock/spring combo with the right shock mounts is a proven method of getting a good handling Miata on the cheap.

the tein springs were on a car with stock msm dampers, and toyo proxes tires. It wasn't super bad, but I also didn't get it on a track of course. It feels kinda "greasy."

I can get the bilsteins revalved to whatever I want very easily, and springs cut specifically for that valving. They also last a really, really long time.

The cheapest and best performing option is to get blown bilsteins, weld on my perches, then get eibach springs. I just have to decide on spring rates.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    I would say this would be your best move.
    +1

Miata's are for 's and you are obviously not one.

Ya know, Mr_BRG, you're not impressing anyone, if that is your intent. What kind of track driving experience do you have? From your remarks, I bet the answer is "not much" or even less. Put the stock shocks and springs on the car and meet me at MSR Saturday morning, and I'll show you how to drive the poor car. You don't need to do all this fancy shock/spring/perch welding stuff on a Miata. OK, so they don't have a lot of power, but they are plenty fast if you know how to drive tham and use their momentum.

the tein springs were on a car with stock msm dampers, and toyo proxes tires. It wasn't super bad, but I also didn't get it on a track of course. It feels kinda "greasy."
    I have to assume you are talking about your sisters car.... I was there for the install... Those were TEIN's street springs (235/174) and can be had for around $135 on ebay. Nice to drop an car an inch and add a tad of stiffness, but hardly comparable to any of the TEIN coilovers.

Put the stock shocks and springs on the car and meet me at MSR Saturday morning, and I'll show you how to drive the poor car. You don't need to do all this fancy shock/spring/perch welding stuff on a Miata. OK, so they don't have a lot of power, but they are plenty fast if you know how to drive tham and use their momentum.
    If Merv is serious... take him up on this... He drove me for a couple of laps in my bone stock '04 LS (even had the factory origional Bridgestones on it). It clearly showed how much of it is the driver... and Merv is one hell of a driver.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

WoW, this thread makes me feel so much better.....there is someone out there more miserable than me

Put some Orange Konig wheels on your car, they will make it steer much better.
    99 Miata Black

I have to assume you are talking about your sisters car.... I was there for the install... Those were TEIN's street springs (235/174) and can be had for around $135 on ebay. Nice to drop an car an inch and add a tad of stiffness, but hardly comparable to any of the TEIN coilovers.
    right, but I'm not going to spend $1400 on suspesnion, I just can't afford that. I think sleeving some hd's with custom springs is my best bet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast