Thread: Headrest speaker wires? Missing?

Default Headrest speaker wires? Missing?

When I had my rollbar installed (thanks Gary, Michael, et. al.), I was shown the headrest speaker wire hookup under the seat.... been wanting speakers for a while now, but I've wanted a reasonable deal on them....

I finally got a set of 4 headrest speakers for a decent price... I went to install them and cannot find the wires in the speaker pockets. Pockets are there, wires go into the bottom of the seat, but don't appear in the pockets....

Any suggestions on where to look before I rip out the seats & do it the hard way??

Thanks!

Since your car didn't come with speakers from the factory, you need to add the wiring. You have two options.

1. Wire it yourself.
    2. Buy a wiring kit from Performance Buyers Club.

For option #2 the wiring varies from year to year so make sure you get the right set.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Since your car didn't come with speakers from the factory, you need to add the wiring.
    Thanks.... but where do the wires that disappear into the bottom of the seats go if there are not wires already in the seats?? Thats my puzzler....

Quote Originally Posted by rold5 View Post
    Thanks.... but where do the wires that disappear into the bottom of the seats go if there are not wires already in the seats?? Thats my puzzler....
    HHHMMM you got the conectors and everything in place??? I'd bet the wires just slipped down the back of the seat.

Looks like those seats are coming out again.

Lovely ........... Thats what I thought, but was secretly hoping was not the case....

Lovely ........... Thats what I thought, but was secretly hoping was not the case....
    Sorry......

You hit the nail on the head!.... There are [as I'm sure everyone but me already knew] TWO sets of wires going under the seat, and only 1 set actually going into the seat. One for the speakers, and one going to the seatbelt receiver. -- Bet you can guess which one I already have.... Looks like I'll be needing that wiring kit after all. Thanks for the reference on it!

Now -- any idea where I can find the moly connector part #? ... If I could find a local supplier, the wiring kit looks easy to build, and those connectors *shouldn't* be very expensive.....

I wired these up this AM. I said no-thanks to waiting [instant gratification thing] & ~30$+S&H for the wiring kit.... instead, went to Frys & picked up a pair of computer peripheral 4-place power connectors. I had some speaker wire, and got spade clips at Radio shack. Total spent: around $6. (And yup, had to take the seats out... fortunately, it's not really much more trouble than taking the center console out.... I *love* how easy some things on this car are to work on!).

I figured I'd write up a little about what I did in case it might benefit anyone else.... I used a fish tape to pull the new wires thru the seat backs (insert from the lower back .... theres a joint in the covers there), and put split-loom tubing over the wires at the bottom of the seats... Looked pretty good when finished & it looks like the wires won't get pinched or abraded anywhere. Even though everything was crimp connectors, I *hate* crimp connectors, so I soldered everything.

All told, it took me about 3 hours & the headrest speakers are great!! ... IF you suffer from not being able to hear your stereo while driving down central top-down, then the headrest speakers are a _great_ improvement!

Also, for the record, mine is a '97, the factory harness coming in from the floorboard is a 6-pin AMP connector of some kind... pins 1-4 are populated. As I implied above, I just snipped this off and put the computer peripheral power-plugs & receptacles on in place of it... The wiring is as follows on the '97:
    Position 1: Red/yellow-tracer Right +
    Position 2: Red/blue-tracer Right -
    Position 3: Blue/white-tracer Left+
    Position 4: Blue/tan-tracer Left-

NOW: that having been said, I do NOT have a factory stereo in it, and it's possible that an installer for the PO might have wired things up incorrectly to the head unit, but I figured I'd document what I found in case anyone could use the info.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by rold5; 09-02-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

All told, it took me about 3 hours & the headrest speakers are great!! ... IF you suffer from not being able to hear your stereo while driving down central, the headrest speakers are a _great_ improvement!
    Nicely done and thanks for the write-up! Enjoy!