Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Launches Civic Si Sedan

Default Honda Launches Civic Si Sedan

Linkie.

$500 extra. 60 lbs. heavier. But you do get two doors and a slightly longer wheelbase. I say good on Honda for expanding the market, but I'd rather have the coupe, which should be somewhat stiffer to boot.

S.

I like the profile of the 4 door a lot better... And just like the coupe looks very Toyota-esque, that 4 door is a dead ringer for a neon.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    that 4 door is a dead ringer for a neon.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    I think the Neon looks better.

Take out the detail shapes... headlights, grill... the profile and beltline are very similar. It may just be me... but that 4 door screams srt-4.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

Strap a car seat in the back and mom can relive those wonderful days of yesteryear when she was crowned the Rice-Princess!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Strap a car seat in the back and mom can relive those wonderful days of yesteryear when she was crowned the Rice-Princess!
    Good one.

S.

Linkie.

$500 extra. 60 lbs. heavier. But you do get two doors and a slightly longer wheelbase. I say good on Honda for expanding the market, but I'd rather have the coupe, which should be somewhat stiffer to boot.

S.
    Actually, sedans are typically stiffer because they have smaller door openings.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    True, the M3 sedan that I had was supposedly stiffer than it's coupe counterpart.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I don't believe you. Prove it.

S.

Talking

S.
    If Altiain posted it on the internet it has to be true!

S.
    Do you reallllllly want him to? And do you really think you could wrap your lawyer brain around all of that engineering gobbly gook that Altiain will inevitably spew?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Do you reallllllly want him to? And do you really think you could wrap your lawyer brain around all of that engineering gobbly gook that Altiain will inevitably spew?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    And do you really think you could wrap your lawyer brain around all of that engineering gobbly gook that Altiain will inevitably spew?
    Honestly, probably not, I would like someone to explain how something with four medium sized holes in it is stiffer than something with two slightly larger holes in it, especially if the two-hole object has a more non-hole surface area.

I'm just trying to learn something here.

S.

Honestly, probably not, I would like someone to explain how something with four medium sized holes in it is stiffer than something with two slightly larger holes in it, especially if the two-hole object has a more non-hole surface area.

I'm just trying to learn something here.

S.
    Long story short, it's because the B pillar in a sedan acts as a truss or bracing member across the "hole" caused by the doors. The bigger "hole" caused by a coupe's longer door means less supported structure (more car length where the roof and the floorpan are the only structure). The addition of the B pillar in a sedan – even if the overall “hole” size is bigger because you have more doors – acts to resist torsional and bending loads in the unibody.

If you wanted a really stiff car, you'd put about 36 2" wide doors on it... but that would make it difficult to get in and out.
    Last edited by altiain; 09-01-2006 at 01:40 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I would guess the 'extra' pillar between the doors on a sedan would make the structure more rigid. (but I'm a computer guy, what do I know)

If you wanted a really stiff car, you'd put about 36 2" wide doors on it... but that would make it difficult to get in and out.
    That makes sense. I think I believe you now.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I would guess the 'extra' pillar between the doors on a sedan would make the structure more rigid. (but I'm a computer guy, what do I know)
    The coupe has a B pillar, too, though, so that can't be the answer. I like Iain's "lots of small holes" explanation.

S.

I like Iain's "lots of small holes" explanation.

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The coupe has a B pillar, too, though, so that can't be the answer. I like Iain's "lots of small holes" explanation.

S.
    It took him 124 words to say what I did in 18. (freakin' pointy head engineer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast