Thread: If anybody is interested... (56k warning)

Default If anybody is interested... (56k warning)

I got bored and tried out a few things w/ my new camera... Oh, and just to make this post a little more "tech"; I will be installing my new exhaust manifold (shorty header in RSX-speak) soon, should be interesting

'02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Very nice! :)
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Nice pics. What kind of camera?

S.

Canon SD550, got it off Amazon (via Beach Camera) for $300 shipped, and I also ordered a high-speed 1gb SD card... I wanted an SLR, probably could have afforded a "base" kit, but I would have needed 2 or 3 extra lenses for the shots I want to do. This will do me just fine for a year or so; I'll probably upgrade to a digital SLR next summer. I've been interested in photography for a while, just never had the $$$ for the equipment. I might even take a class at UTA for fun, it would probably help.

I almost forgot... I used Canon's software to touch-up the pics a little. I have Photoshop, just too lazy right now to mess with it. Gotta go study anyways
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I would also like to get a D-SLR one of these days, but you just can't beat some of the deals with these 10x - 12x zoom point and shoots. They work very well. I have a Two year old Panasonic FZ-10 and have only seen a few instances where a full D-SLR would have been better. Mainly on high speed action shots.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    ...have only seen a few instances where a full D-SLR would have been better. Mainly on high speed action shots.
    I really like the reduced depth of field in a nice fast prime 50mm lens... tough to do that with a p&s...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/willbdun...34175381504018

Certainly easier to catch action with the DSLR though....
    http://picasaweb.google.com/willbdun...34129670537234
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I really like the reduced depth of field in a nice fast prime 50mm lens... tough to do that with a p&s...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/willbdun...34175381504018
    TC - Is that the F1.8 50mm fixed lens from Canon?

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    TC - Is that the F1.8 50mm fixed lens from Canon?

Raymond
    Heh... Oops. Checking the handy data for that image, I see that it's actually the 28-105mm el crapo zoom lens at the 105mm end at f4.5. So even the crapo lenses make some nice images sometimes....

I have a 1.8 50mm in my bag for those times when I worry about breaking a lens... I usually use the 1.4 as it produces much more natural "bokeh" for not a lot more money and allows easier manual focus.

Note... found one taken with the 1.4 50... All the out of focus areas are nice and soft with no edges. The 1.8 50 tends to create identifiable geometric shapes in the out of focus areas.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/willbdun...34158604156946
    Last edited by tailchaser; 09-10-2006 at 06:11 PM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    The 1.8 50 tends to create identifiable geometric shapes in the out of focus areas.
    I think for the difference in cash the 1.8 50mm will work for me.

$70+shipping vs. $350+shipping

I won't use it enough to justify the extra expense.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

There's a couple of features that the SD550 has that were the main reasons I bought it:

Manual exposure modes
    Continuous 2fps shooting until memory is full <- nice to have, shouldn't miss a pic; especially with high speed SD
    Shutter speeds of 15 seconds to 1/2000 second <- the biggest reason, I wanted 30 seconds but only DSLR's have that high
    Auto noise reduction with 1.3 sec or longer shutter speeds
    Selectable ISO settings from 50 to 400
    It takes .5 seconds to turn on, ready to shoot

It also does 60fps movies (low res), or 30/15 fps movies (all with sound, and at higher res) that will record til the card is full. The only drawback is that Canon didn't implement any compression, so the video lengths are a little shorter than they could be.

Some other fun features that I need to try out deal with colors. I can do a completely B/W pic except one color (yeah, software can do it, but it's really nice to have it built-in to the camera), and I can color swap on the fly (again, SW does it, but it's a nice feature).
    Last edited by Adam Payrot; 09-10-2006 at 10:06 PM.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

The other pictures that I took, now that this thread is on a new page.

'02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Nice! Those final changes they made to the RSX were super-sharp. I'm not brave enough to buy a red car these days (although Mrs. Srivendel is!), but that's a beautiful red. My first car was a Civic Si in Milano Red. Your red looks a lot like it.

I might need to borrow your camera (or get together for a photography session) once the Si gets in. Yes, that's right kids, it's still not here. So I'm driving a dealer demo beige CR-V in the meantime. Be still my heart!

S.

Mine is Milano Red too There's a 06 Milano Red Si that an employee of Vandergriff has, looks nice

We could do a photo session; I'm going to have a hard time filling a 1gb card, even at the highest quality settings.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I might have to join you guys once i finally do a good wash and wax. I have to clay bar the sprinkler crap off my hood first.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

You should have seen my wheels right before these pics, they were actually gunmetal colored from the Hawks I am getting a lot more dusting than I had anticipated. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to wash it more
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I might have to join you guys once i finally do a good wash and wax. I have to clay bar the sprinkler crap off my hood first.
    Sweet! We can get together for a photoshoot one weekend soon. I know some great locations in Deep Ellum that I've been wanting to shoot car pics in front of for a while now.

Adam, how dark is your window tint?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Sweet! We can get together for a photoshoot one weekend soon. I know some great locations in Deep Ellum that I've been wanting to shoot car pics in front of for a while now.

Adam, how dark is your window tint?

S.
    It's factory, not sure what %. I want to go down to 20%, maybe 25%.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Here's some more very nice amateur automotive photography.

S.

Hopefully one day soon I can make it out there; I might shoot for next summer
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge