Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Filter & Insepction

I really do not think, none of you think so ether, that there is a law the specify a certain (legal) brand of cold air intake air filter. I am not aware K&N is CARB legal ether!? I will take it to another shop.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    I really do not think, none of you think so ether, that there is a law the specify a certain (legal) brand of cold air intake air filter. I am not aware K&N is CARB legal ether!? I will take it to another shop.
    I don't think his issue is with the 'brand' of airfilter... If you were just changing the filter itself in teh same airbox they cannot restrict you to specific brands.

HOWEVER, since the cold air intake tube setup is 'technically' related to the emissions controls, they (in some states) require that 'certification' AKA CARB stickers, or the approved list or whatnot...

however.. you're still just running into an inspector on a power trip. that's teh basis of this issue `
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

What if you take a picture of a Mazda MP3 car that had a cold air pipe/filter stock. There are a few cars that come with things that look like that.

But yes the guy is being a jerk. I am sure they are holding your money until you come back with it corrected.

The other option is to go up the chain of command and ask for explanation or documents as to why it is being denied. If it is to much hassle for them then maybe they will let it slide. It is called customer service.

I saw a similar thread over on the pointy board, where the following info was dug up from this TxDPS page:
    Aftermarket Air Intake Systems (AIS) and Thermostatic Air Cleaners (TAC)
    1996 and newer vehicles do not have a Thermostatic Air Cleaner (TAC) system. The TAC system went away on 1996 & newer vehicles, because these vehicles are equipped with OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics – Second Generation) computer systems and these vehicles have more sophisticated fuel injection systems and emissions control systems, so there’s no need for a TAC system. There are several different brands of aftermarket open-type air filter/intake systems by K&N, Airaid, AEM, etc, so these are OK to install on any vehicle that did not come factory equipped with a TAC system and you will pass the visual emissions component inspection.

NOTE: If the air intake system reads "For Racing Purposes Only" or "For Off Road Use Only" then it is not intended for use on public roadways and is not street legal. If the air intake system is CARB approved and 50-state legal, then it is street legal in all 50 states.

1995 and older vehicles that are equipped with a TAC system are required to have all the components in place in order to pass the visual emissions component inspection, which is part of the annual safety inspection. The TAC system consists of the enclosed air cleaner/filter assembly and a heat shroud at the exhaust manifold and then there is also a heat duct hose that connects from the heat shroud to the air cleaner assembly. Also, some of the TAC systems had a fresh air duct hose that attached from the front or side of the air cleaner assembly to either the front or side of the vehicle. The TAC system is a closed-type air cleaner/filter assembly and it was designed to reduce Hydrocarbon (HC) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) emissions during cold engine operation, so if your vehicle came equipped with a TAC system and if it was removed and replaced with an open-type design air filter/intake assembly, the vehicle will fail the visual emissions component inspection.
    So, it looks like the inspector can fail you for having the wrong brand of aftermarket filter. Even more worrisome is that Texas DPS is pointing to CARB.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    So, it looks like the inspector can fail you for having the wrong brand of aftermarket filter. Even more worrisome is that Texas DPS is pointing to CARB.
    Only if
    NOTE: If the air intake system reads "For Racing Purposes Only" or "For Off Road Use Only" then it is not intended for use on public roadways and is not street legal.

So the big question is did the 90-95 Miata come with a TAC System? If so, this REALLY Sucks as I don't have any of my original airbox stuff.

Also, what do the FI guys do?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Also, what do the FI guys do?
    Well, Gary only provides K&N filters with his intakes, so that's not a problem. I believe it is the same with FM. For those with stock JRSC, the kit as a whole is CARB certified, so that should give the filter a pass as part of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Well, Gary only provides K&N filters with his intakes, so that's not a problem. I believe it is the same with FM. For those with stock JRSC, the kit as a whole is CARB certified, so that should give the filter a pass as part of the package.

Am I missing something here?

There are several different brands of aftermarket open-type air filter/intake systems by K&N, Airaid, AEM, etc, so these are OK to install on any vehicle that did not come factory equipped with a TAC system and you will pass the visual emissions component inspection.
    Also, did can anyone answer my question, did the 90-95 Miata come with a TAC System?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Also, did can anyone answer my question, did the 90-95 Miata come with a TAC System?
    Not a lot of us driving around in Antique Miatas.

You may want to review this document....
    If the TAC system has been removed and replaced with an aftermarket open-type air filter/intake system, the system will require to be C.A.R.B (California Air Resources Board) approved. C.A.R.B. approved systems are issued an E.O. (Executive Order)
    No. and this information is printed on a label, which must be attached in a readily visible
    location under the vehicle’s hood.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 09-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.

For what it's worth....Both my cars have Cold Air Intakes
    The Miata has an AEM.....
    The Honda has one with no markings what so ever.....
    Neither have ever had a problem at the Inspection Station

So don't fret.....just come on over here to Arlington and I'll show you where to take it.....
    Last edited by riverracer; 09-28-2006 at 11:38 PM.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Am I missing something here?

The TAC description says "there is also a heat duct hose that connects from the heat shroud to the air cleaner assembly". I don't believe any Miatas have this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12