Thread: Arai Full Face Helmets

Default Arai Full Face Helmets

I have two Arai Quantum/f helmets that I don't need since I sold my motorcycle. Thought that maybe some of you racer types might be interested. They are both medium, come with a bag, both the clear and tinted visors and have had very little use. The yellow was mine and the silver was my wife's. Arais are pretty high end and it shows in the quality and comfort of these helmets. With the extra visors, we paid $425 each. I have them listed on Craigslist for $250 for the silver and $225 for the yellow (the yellow has a scuff on the tinted visor), but I'll knock $25 off for you swell forum kids These may be overkill for auto X, but they sure were a comfort when riding a bike around these idiot infested streets!

Oh yeah... Snell 2000 and DOT certified since I understand that matters at some events!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    At those prices, I suspect they'll sell quickly...
    I hope so!

Proceeds are going back into the cars. Melanie wants a new stereo for her Prelude and I'm going to put any money made from my bike gear (also selling jackets, pants, etc) into the Miata. Just haven't decided what, yet. So, if you want to trade and you've got something Miata related (and compatible with an '01), let me know!

Do you have another helmet for when the guys talk you into come out to Autocross?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Do you have another helmet for when the guys talk you into come out to Autocross?
    I do. And it's even been treated with Rain-X!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    Hey... Watch it newbie!

I'm guessing they are not SA rated, only M. Is that correct? That yellar one would match Sunny really well!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I'm guessing they are not SA rated, only M. Is that correct? That yellar one would match Sunny really well!
    !! According to the Snell website, they are rated M2000, not SA2000
    I wasn't aware there was any real difference between moto and auto helmets. I can't imagine anything you'd have to withstand in a car that the bike helmet wouldn't need to do at least as well. Except for the fire resistance part...
    What is interesting is that the helmet itself, and the documentation that came with it, just days "DOT" and "Snell". No specifics. No "SA" or "M". Nada. Had to look on the Snell website to get clarification on which Snell standard they met. Maybe that would be good enough for tech inspection?

You know, maybe you should get it anyway if it matches your car. Good way to keep your hair from getting all mussed up! Plus, the red light cameras couldn't identify you! See!! Good things!!! Buy it! You know you wanna!!

For autoX you dont need an SA helmet. For road racing like Merv does an SA helmet is probably needed. I believe they are designed for multiple hits i.e. hitting the roll bar in a couple of spots durning a long flipping crash. Also in SA helmets the eye port is smaller.

What is interesting is that the helmet itself, and the documentation that came with it, just days "DOT" and "Snell". No specifics. No "SA" or "M". Nada. Had to look on the Snell website to get clarification on which Snell standard they met. Maybe that would be good enough for tech inspection?
    You need to look under the liner in the helmet to find the Snell certification sticker that lists the M designation.

It would be good enough for Auto-X but not for a track day.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    You need to look under the liner in the helmet to find the Snell certification sticker that lists the M designation.

It would be good enough for Auto-X but not for a track day.

RJ
    Most track days are fine with an M designation... Actual track races are not.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Ah, there it is! Between the pads on the back side. Guess I never noticed it since I never put the helmet on backwards!

Someone should buy the yellow one and use vinyl stickers to turn the back side into their favorite emoticon

I would recommend , but since we discovered that this is an 'M' helmet and not fire proof, maybe that's not such a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Most track days are fine with an M designation... Actual track races are not.
    BMWCCA and PCA track days require SA helmets.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

From the Snell Memorial Foundation website:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
    SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
    • SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
    • SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
    • SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
    • The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.
    Just in case you were wondering.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw