Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Swap 10/22

i reversed the fuel lines swapping in a friends engine about a year ago. we fought with the car for about 3 hours before we figured it out since we diddn't have a fuel pressure gauge.

DOH!

Got the car down & got the exhaust taken care of but discovered... the dang water pump is leaking. I have a spare but #*$(@$#...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Oh man that sucks. Would have been much easier to do it with the engine outside the car.

pull it out again, lol...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Oh HELL no. It stays in. Easier to get the crank bolt out when it's inside the car. Use the bump starter method.

I already have the water pump and tensioner/idler pulleys. I'll have to go get the valve cover gasket and the belt. URG.

I know what I'm doing this afternoon - after haircuts of course...

If anyone's free after 3:30 come on by. It's something I can do by myself but if you've never done one and want to see what's involved then swing by. I can even hand you a wrench if you want.

RJ

I am assuming the water pump gasket you have is metal...

Did you put any silicone on the gasket? I learned that trick fairly early on, those metal ones never sealed properly for me unless I used it. I used a paper one once and it was fine w/o the silicone.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    I am assuming the water pump gasket you have is metal...

Did you put any silicone on the gasket? I learned that trick fairly early on, those metal ones never sealed properly for me unless I used it. I used a paper one once and it was fine w/o the silicone.
    Nope... The old pump wasn't very tight and water leaked through the gasket. The pump was still OK but the bearing in it didn't feel all that great. I replaced it.

All-in-all, replaced the timing belt, idler/tensioner pulleys, water pump, thermostat, and spark plugs. Once that was done I set the idle speed and timing.

Thanks to HudsonHawk for the help! We got it all torn down and the water pump installed when he had to leave. I dug out a flashlight to finish up the job after the sun set. I really do need to buy one of those LED bar lights.

RJ

Well, she passed inspection today!

Now I have to find time to take it to the race shop for a roll cage installation.

RJ

Congratulations!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12