Thread: LSCBMW Night/Day Autocross 10/21-22 Mineral Wells

Default LSCBMW Night/Day Autocross 10/21-22 Mineral Wells

Anyone interested going LSCBMW Night Autocross on 10/21 and Daytime Autocross on 10/22 at Mineral Wells?

Details on Night Autocross:

http://www.lscbmwcca.org/autocross-night-details.htm

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Alan,
    I probably won't make the night autocross, but I'll be at the daytime one.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I will definitely go to Sunday's race, but I am up in the air about Saturday night's race. I think it would be neat to try, but I will either have to get home at 11 PM Saturday night and get up at 5:30 Sunday morning, or get a hotel. Not sure if I want to fork out the extra dough for the hotel, nor am I sure that I want to try to do all of it on so little sleep. I've thought about seeing if someone wants to share a room, but based on my dealings with Hal, Mick, Sam, Doug, and the bunch, I'm not so sure that is a good idea.

I talked to Thomas about this race since he has done it and he said it is a pretty neat (albeit gimmicky) experience that we should try once.

I've got someone coming to install new lighting and paint the home office that weekend, so I'm out.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I've got someone coming to install new lighting and paint the home office that weekend, so I'm out.

meh... we don't like Wankels anyway!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    meh... we don't like Wankels anyway!
    Dont be mean to Altiain, oh wait that is an L not an R...

Weather is looking nice.

jrj512 and Miatamoto, see you Sun!
    Last edited by apex2apex; 10-19-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: sun not sat
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post
    Weather is looking nice.

jrj512 and Miatamoto, see you Sun!
    Can't wait! See you on Sunday!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    . . . . I've thought about seeing if someone wants to share a room, but based on my dealings with Hal, Mick, Sam, Doug, and the bunch, I'm not so sure that is a good idea.
    Like that was going to be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    The Link[/I]]The night autocross is limited to 40 people..
    MEMBERS ONLY.. NO EXCEPTIONS!!
    Doesn't that exclude me?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Like that was going to be an issue

Doesn't that exclude me?
    They've got a poor showing this year for the night autocross, I'm sure they'd let anybody register.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I'm still debating on the night race.

Well, I didn't make it to the night race, and based on the temperature, I'm kind of glad that I didn't.

As for the morning race, it was a cold day. It did not really warm up until 1 or so. I actually drove there with the top down. I had the windows up, the wind-blocker on, and the heater going. It was not bad. The crisp cool air mixed with the heat felt good. Yes, I'm an idiot.

The track was pretty good. It was the first time I have seen a straight down the entire back stretch. I was almost to redline in third by the end. There were a series of switchbacks at the beginning and end where you really had to slow down. I was not a big fan of them, but they made you appreciate the concept of slow performance driving.

Not many Miatas. I think it was just me, Thomas (with his new-used Hoosiers), and one other (I can't remember his name, but he usually drives a yellow Porsche 914 with the cool Supertrap exhausts sitcking out the back). My main competition was Nathan Dyke in his MR2 and another MR2. Both beat me, but I think I did really well. It would have been nice to have other Miatas there for comparison. What happened to everyone? Nathan rode with me a few times and was able to give me some good advice.

Looking forward to ER in a few weeks.

Another fun event. Good to see you out there jrj512 and good driving. The MR2 drivers are pretty damn good so nothing to be ashamed of.

It was another really fast course with one really unnecessarily slow section. Lots of fun though. My Hoosier scrubs worked out pretty well and I was able to carry a lot of speed onto the back straight. I was into 4th gear before the end of the straight! There was also a third gear slalom in my car which was a lot of fun.

There were too many spots to make use of a powerful car and I didn't manage to beat Gabby in his STI today. Good job today Apex2apex and thanks for the fun runs.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Good to see jrj512 and MiataMoto out there. It was COLD in the morning! Course was a blast except the SLOW section at the begining. Redlined 3rd gear at the backstraight.

Big thanks to jrj512 for giving me a lap in his car, and MiataMoto for the driving tips!

Looking forward to the S2K autocross.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

That was the first time I have ever noticed tire temperature making a difference. The first run in the morning and afternoon really exposed to me what tire temperature does. Now I understand why professional racers blame shunts on cold tires, and now I actually believe them... sometimes.