Thread: POS is a dud on the Dyno! ;-)

Default POS is a dud on the Dyno! ;-)

Which makes me wonder why I only got 88HP out of it.

It has 153,000+ miles on that engine and it my just be showing signs of it's years of diligent service!

The car has always run good, it doesn't use oil idles nice and seems to have nice linear pickup from a standing start.

Today I decided to check a few things:

I ohmed out all the NGK wires, all were within what the Enthusiast Manual for the 1.6 shows as acceptable. Although I will more than likely order it a new set of NGK's wires next week.

I went thought the procedure for checking fault codes and it came up with nothing.

Checked the O2 to see if I had any funky variations in voltage, and it appeared to check out OK.

Checked out the engine compartment to see if I had any strange leaks or disconnected wires and found nothing.

Ran the car and checked for vacuum leaks and found none.

Need to run a compression check on the POS but I don’t have a gauge, and Autozone doesn’t offer them in its loan a tool program. Do any of you kids have a gauge I could borrow or do you know of a source for a cheap gauge.

Well... let's see... for any one horse you need 73.2 gerbils to equal the power output. So, with your 88hp x 73.2gp/h = 6441.6 gerbil power.

So hell, you're doing great!

Hell... your car still scoots around the courses faster than most at the auto-x's.

I think what has POS worried about the health of his car is the disparity between 1.6L cars we saw yesterday. Sammmmm's car made ~104hp, or almost 16hp more than POS. That is significantly higher, given that both are set up E Stock legal.

In comparison, I don't think there was even an 8hp split between the strongest and weakest C Stock cars (with 4 of them taking to the dyno yesterday - TC, Kestrel, onething, and mine), and two of those are '01+ cars with completely different vvt heads & different emissions systems than the two '99s that dynoed. The only thing different between POS's and Sammm's engines are the mileage... at least, that's all Sammmm will admit to.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

With 153k on it, have you ever checked the cat? Mine was shot at 120k...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    With 153k on it, have you ever checked the cat? Mine was shot at 120k...

RJ
    We did an overlay of Sammm's best run and my run. They looked similar; I believe it was Aaron of ATS who said if I had an exhaust restriction you would see it on the charts. The charts didn't show and performance drop out of the POS as you should if the was dead.

I need to get it inspected this week. Last year it passed with flying colors; we will see how she does this year! I do plan to pull the after I get my new inspection sticker to see if we have any issues!

BTW. I just pulled the Plugs and they were all similar in burn pattern as well as wear, so she seems to be using all 4 cylinders! Going to replace the plugs when I replace the wires. What do you guys run? I have a set of Bosch +4’s in it now.

A compression check and leak down test are on my list to see if the mileage has taken its tool on the valve train.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Hell... your car still scoots around the courses faster than most at the auto-x's.
    Thanks 3bean but just think what she could do if I had full power available!

With 153k on it, have you ever checked the cat? Mine was shot at 120k...RJ
    If you recall the Burns (mr2) 3rd motor was not going strong. So they did a dyno and found about :pig: 55hp,to the rear wheels. Seems they had melted the

The other big thing they found was the rear brake was dragging. That took a lot of pony's away.

Just tossing out ideas but I would bet on the
    Mazda is known for melting them early.

Well after the fixes the hp="top secret"... You will have to ask the Burn's. Lets just say it helped a lot.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    The other big thing they found was the rear brake was dragging. That took a lot of pony's away.
    The general may be on to something. Remember the frozen brake caliper we found on the POS? Could it be the culprit?

Unfortunately, like POS mentioned, an exhaust restriction changes the curve in the upper-RPM range... Overlaying POS and sammm's plots show identical curves. In fact, if you overlay every single normally aspirated plot, you see the same curve.

POS - didn't you hear Aaron telling you to stay clear of NGK wires? Or are you just ignoring him since you plan on selling the car (<subliminal>to me</subliminal>) soon (<subliminal>for $20</subliminal>). Dang

I'll get the dyno data uploaded in the morning so all you guys can play with it until you

Hey what did m2rracing B&T '92 do on the dyno? Wasn't it like 95hp?

I though Aaron said NGK's were OK? I know he like the Magnicors.

NGK's rock! The 1.6 Enthusiast Manual says the resistance in the spark plug wires should measure 16Kohm per meter (39.370").

Mine measured:
    #1, 3.62Kohm
    #2, 2.84Kohm
    #3, 2.13Kohm
    #4, 1.86Kohm

Dated Purchased 3/17/2003 (p/n 0000-18-121a)

Kids keep in mind when the POS is sold I am looking to make money off the car to assist in funding it’s replacement, so I’ve pretty much ruled out the possibility of selling it to anyone who lurks about this Forum! :P

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

Kids keep in mind when the POS is sold I am looking to make money off the car to assist in funding it’s replacement, so I’ve pretty much ruled out the possibility of selling it to anyone who lurks about this Forum! :P
    Cheap Bastard!

That's probably a good idea, since I think the price some if us were willing to pay got revised downward after yesterday's performance...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I'd try to limit the amount of posts about your car too. As someone said not long ago on a corner at Pennington, "There are a lot more people watching this forum than you know." You could be quoted on dfwautotrader.com or something
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

You're making me paranoid, onething...
    Iain

Hey, POS, did you ever locate a compression tester? I have one you're welcome to use. Let me know.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Hey, POS, did you ever locate a compression tester? I have one you're welcome to use. Let me know.
    Oh! Oh! Can I use it! I'd really like to know if the POS is a bit light on compression!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Oh! Oh! Can I use it! I'd really like to know if the POS is a bit light on compression!
    Sure, I'll bring it to Pennington on Sunday.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    With 153k on it, have you ever checked the cat? Mine was shot at 120k...RJ
    If you recall the Burns (mr2) 3rd motor was not going strong. So they did a dyno and found about :pig: 55hp,to the rear wheels. Seems they had melted the

Just tossing out ideas but I would bet on the
    Mazda is known for melting them early.

Well after the fixes the hp="top secret"... You will have to ask the Burn's. Lets just say it helped a lot.
    Posting under Christin's ID but...

The e-brake was the major killer on the Burn's car. I think that was FOURTY of the missing hp. The cat was only a few, but in C stock a few is worth fighting for.

Aaron
    99 Miata FM turbo kit 202rwhp
    93 MR2 Turbo 291 rwhp
    04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 180 rwhp

http://www.atsracing.net

1200hp Dynojet 248c

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    POS - didn't you hear Aaron telling you to stay clear of NGK wires?
    Our car has Magnecores, I don't know if the NGK's are better or worse. If anyone has a loaner pair I'll try to dyno the difference.

The NGK's available for the MR2 are horrible. We use OEM Toyota (red 7mm) wires on all our 91-92 cars. 93 MR2's dropped to a 5mm wire that is still good at 359 rwhp.

Aaron
    99 Miata FM turbo kit 202rwhp
    93 MR2 Turbo 291 rwhp
    04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 180 rwhp

http://www.atsracing.net

1200hp Dynojet 248c

POS teh black and red's best run was 99.5hp torque @87.6 that was with the fan pushing air into the air intake worth 5 hp and 2 ft lbs of torque.
    sorry for the late post.
    one ninty two for events
    and one for the street