Thread: Project help or FOR SALE

Default Project help or FOR SALE

I've got a pet project I need help with... It's a 1985 RX-7 with a muscled-up Ford 5.0 (Edelbrock Performer II intake, X303 cam, Edelbrock alum. heads, Tremec TKO tranny, etc etc etc). It's not a runner yet, but I believe I have most everything to get it there. Here's what's left to do, as far as I know (and don't even ask why I'm not driving the little SOB yet): wiring (I have a factory Ford MAF computer which should work just fine), driveshaft (needs to be custom made to fit the TKO tranny), cooling (it's going to need a big electric fan behind the radiator), headers and exhaust (I have headers that will clear the engine compartment, but they're very tight on ground clearance... plus, I have to fab the exhaust). I don't have the right space/tools to finish it off right now, so I'm at a crossroads... I hate to bail on it, so I'm putting feelers out to people who might be willing to help (and/or recommend someone to finish the sucker for me). Worst case, however, if you read this and you feel like you need something dangerous, let me know. I'm considering all options... at the right price.

Kags1969 has a very similar RX7, what are the chances!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Kags1969 has a very similar RX7, what are the chances!
    Hmmm... seems like we may have met at some point. Is that RX white? Is the Miata red with a supercharger?

Pretty close to what I want to do some day. Except I want to do a 87-88 Turbo II body/chassis
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Hmmm... seems like we may have met at some point. Is that RX white? Is the Miata red with a supercharger?
    Thats him, but the Red Miata is now turbocharged and he has added a blue Miata. Unfortunately, he has moved from Irving down to Austin. He does seem to find his way up here about once a month.

ever thought about using shorty headers instead? and making that ixhaust is not expensive, well not that expensive if you dont want it to pass emissions :) 2 cats can get kind of expensive.

I tried various shorty and long headers, and none of them fit except some long-tube block huggers. Great clearance side-to-side, but they hang down too far. I'm not particularly worried about cats, etc. Anyhow, I'm still sitting on this one... perhaps I can get my act together and re-approach this sucker in the spring (unless I get an offer I can't refuse).

One of these has to work. they are seriously short. edelbrock makes one that is even closer to the block, but with the name comes a price.
    if all else fails, you could use the stock exhaust manifold.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    One of these has to work. they are seriously short. edelbrock makes one that is even closer to the block, but with the name comes a price.
    if all else fails, you could use the stock exhaust manifold.

Believe me... I tried everything I could get my hands on (from Dallas Mustang)! What I've got is VERY close... and the more I think about it, the more I think I really can't f-ing bear to part with this beast. Unless I get some wild-ass offer I can't refuse, I'm going to hang on to this thing till spring. By then, hopefully, I'll have new digs with a new garage and a new home for the stray pups (as it were).

Maybe. Thanks!

I have a set of bbk shorty headers on mine, but I had to take them in and get the drivers side "reworked" at a welding shop/ fabricator. I had been using the stock 1.5" header and went to a 1.5/8" header, I picked up a ton of horsepower (but I have really nice AFR 185 Heads on there). I wished I had used the 1 3/4" shorties that Bassani makes as my starting point.

Chris

I seem to remember something about the MAC unequal length working, but my memory is foggy.
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric