Thread: cost of 1.8?

Default cost of 1.8?

In hunting for an early 1.8 engine, what's a typical, reasonable cost (sans shipping)?
    Assume for complete bottom and top ends, no accessories, no injectors or rail, a couple of ticks under 100k and good compression across all cylinders.
    I'm considering picking up an engine like this to tear down and rebuild once a couple of other things get finished up.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I've gotten them anywhere from $450 to $800, depending on mileage, condition, and accessories that came with it.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

FWIW, if you ever find a 1.8l out of a Protege that is real cheap, you could use that too (the bottom end at least, the head can be used but it takes some modifying). There are a few minor changes to make to it, but those would be done on a rebuild anyway.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

look on clubroadster.net there is one for sale right now that is somewhere in the dfw area by someone called tex miata. I think he is asking $850.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Hey, I have a 1.8 from I believe a 96 that you could buy for a rebuild. I haven't checked it out yet, but a race buddy from Tulsa said it lost oil and spun the bearings. Let me know if you are interested.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    look on clubroadster.net there is one for sale right now that is somewhere in the dfw area by someone called tex miata. I think he is asking $850.
    Imagine that!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Is that you?
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    Is that you?

Sure is.

Still trying to decide if I want to build an engine or change a few parts on one and just drop it in. I have a habit of being really indecisive...
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

You know... in my experience - esp being a little indecisive and with a bad habit of not finishing shit, AND given that the 1.8 cars had some other chassis improvements, etc etc etc - you might just want to sell what you got and find a decent 1.8 car to start with. I'll, uh, buy your hardtop off you if that'll help... :)

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    You know... in my experience - esp being a little indecisive and with a bad habit of not finishing shit, AND given that the 1.8 cars had some other chassis improvements, etc etc etc - you might just want to sell what you got and find a decent 1.8 car to start with. I'll, uh, buy your hardtop off you if that'll help... :)
    Well now, I must disagree. I wouldn't get rid of my 90 for a 94+. I actually prefer the interior of the 1.6 cars anyways. I did the 1.8 swap, which was only a few extra minutes more than dropping in another 1.6, and love it. You can get the factory braces from a salvage yard for little $$$ and the FM rear subframe brace is even better than the factory one added in the 1.8 cars. Finding the bigger brakes is a bit hard now days but can still be done cheap and I love it. Plus the car already comes with the "real" oil gauge!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Plus the car already comes with the "real" oil gauge!
    So does a 94 with the 1.8. My car is a 95 but I retrofitted a 94 real opg and sender.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)