Thread: Shifter questions

Default Shifter questions

My transmission has been a little notchy so I decided to change out the trans oil with MT90 and change the turrent oil as well. Trans oil went fine (had someone else do that part ), but the shifter turrent has raised some issues.

1) What to use. Everything on the pointy board says use whatever oil you've got on hand, it doesn't matter. True? If so, I've got lots of stuff left over from my 300 ZX and my bike. I've got regular 10w40 as well as synthetic 15w50 and 20w50. What would you kids use? The stuff I pulled out of the turrent smelled nasty and looked like the kind of split-pea slop you'd feed to undeserving orphans at Christmas...

2) Shift boot. What a surprise, it's in pieces. I have a 2001 and it is torn in two pieces. In other words, the bottom isn't connected to the top. At all. Hmmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with where I got the car? Anyway, I'll be needing a new one. Any thing I should know about installing it? Anything else I should do while I'm here and dirty already? Anyone have a usable boot laying around they want to get rid of so I don't have to drive to Town North? Why do I ask so many questions? Why is the sky blue? Can I have a cookie??

No. You can't have a damn cookie.

I've got some "bottom of the bottle" of various tranny oils for the turret if you'd rather put MT-90 in it.

Torn boot on a 2001 isn't a big surprise. I *think* there's probably a trick to reassembly to reduce the chances of premature breakage, but I have no idea what the trick is. I just know that mine "feels" different every time I put it back together after checking the oil level.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yeah, a torn shifter boot is probably the one thing you can't blame on ol' McWrath. They don't last long.

I always used Mobil1 75w90 in the turret, but that's only because it's what I used in the tranny and the diff as well.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I always used Mobil1 75w90 in the turret, but that's only because it's what I used in the tranny and the diff as well.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    2) Shift boot. What a surprise, it's in pieces. I have a 2001 and it is torn in two pieces. In other words, the bottom isn't connected to the top. At all. Hmmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with where I got the car?

I had to replace the shift boots in my 2002 and it has never been to Garland.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

What he said.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Torn boot on a 2001 isn't a big surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I had to replace the shift boots in my 2002 and it has never been to Garland.
    That may be true, but I know he swapped the tranny. He told me as much as a selling point, "We put a new transmission in it because the old one had some problems." First off, if the old one had problems, wouldn't it have been covered under Mazda's warranty?? (note: why do you always think of these questions when it's too late ). Secondly, he forgot to mention that he took out a 6 speed and put in a 5... Anyway, it doesn't matter as I'm happy with the 5 speed. But... given that the tranny was changed, you would think that the boots would have been taken care of, too. Well, if you went to a decent, competent mechanic, that is

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    No. You can't have a damn cookie.

I've got some "bottom of the bottle" of various tranny oils for the turret if you'd rather put MT-90 in it.
    Someday, mark my words, I'm going to get a cookie out of you!

I appreciate the offer on the "bottle-bottoms". I have a bit left over myself. Let me check and see if its enough. If not, I may take you up on that!

Ditto for the old B&T and the Spec project... haven't changed out the oil on the 03 yet. That will happen next spring.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well, if you went to a decent, competent mechanic, that is
    Ya think!

Can I have a cookie??
    I'm going to get a cookie out of you!
    I've got a cookie for you... just know that those aren't chocolate chips.

...a decent, competent mechanic...
    Those words and McGrath... that's like saying Bush and Pelosi will be happily spending the holidays together.

Default Done and done!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    I've got a cookie for you... just know that those aren't chocolate chips.
    Hey, M&M's are fine!

I just got finished putting everything back together and taking her out for a test drive. I had to replace both the dust boot and the insulator boot. I used the remainder of the MT90 I had on hand (which is 75w90, so basically what everyone was recommending anyway). Shifting is better and slightly less notchy than before. An improvement, nonetheless, and its nice knowing that it was done correctly .

Its been a good week for the Miata! In addition to the tranny oil and shifter boots, I also installed a Team Voodoo shift knob, a Nautilus air horn and the Moss cockpit brace. I also ditched the sunvisors since they were little more than a nuisance. Of course, there was no way I was paying $25 + shipping for plastic plugs for the holes! So I fashioned my own from some nice, arched, oak transition strips I had sitting around. Painted black, they blend right in and didn't cost a thing!

Of course, there was no way I was paying $25 + shipping for plastic plugs for the holes! So I fashioned my own from some nice, arched, oak transition strips I had sitting around. Painted black, they blend right in and didn't cost a thing!
    That reminds me - I've got a set of plain black visor plugs sitting in the center console of the RX-8. Free to the first person tomorrow at the autocross who asks for 'em.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

That reminds me - I've got a set of plain black visor plugs sitting in the center console of the RX-8. Free to the first person tomorrow at the autocross who asks for 'em.
    I'll take them.. one of mine is starting to crack.

Oh, fine, just fine! Now you remember....