Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech day. For me!

We can always do it a later weekend, like one of the first weekends of the new year. I will have the experience of installing my shocks by then.

You can get a spring compressor from Autozone's loaner tool program. That's where I will get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Don't forget spring compressors if you're swapping shocks.
    How about a heavy moving blanket??

For the rest of you, it's an inside joke...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    How about a heavy moving blanket??

For the rest of you, it's an inside joke...
    and it's all fun and games until the blanket rips and someone loses a spleen.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    and it's all fun and games until the blanket rips and someone loses a spleen.
    I've seen it happen, I was at the '69 Nationals....

Can we tentatively plan for the 24th? I can tell my sis I have plans already

But seriously, I want to get this stuff done, and jrj512, we could both do it at the same time then, right?

Like I said, I'll shoot for suspension (and spark plugs) that day, then worry about the rest another day. I have more stuff to get anyway.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Can we tentatively plan for the 24th?
    24th of December? Interest likely to be low. Think about it.

Exclamation

Can we tentatively plan for the 24th?
    Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    24th of December? Interest likely to be low. Think about it.
    No kidding...

Alrighty then, plan for early January. Or I could just go to Midas. I'm not sure I trust you guys with my car
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

ill lend a helping wrench if you need. ive replaced the carpet in mine, took about half a day, its a real pain. everything else is very easy though. im off saturday sunday and monday.

Okay then, change of plans. Looks like my new days off are Tuesdays and Wednesdays though that isn't set in stone.

I'd like to plan for an ASAP (sometime early January?) day to get my shocks, springs, and bumpstops in (and change my spark plugs, and if I have time get the roll bar in).

We need:

1. Place first

2. Date

3. People (I'll try to make it )

4. Food afterward (optional, but I'll buy the most productive worker dinner at Hooters )

I have piles of stuff in my garage waiting to go in... lets get it on!!

The rest can wait for later.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I hate to break the news to you, Sparky, but it is hard enough getting people together for lunch on a weekday, so I would not hold my breath for a tech day.

Also, it looks like you will be buying yourself lunch at Hooters, as the idea is that you do the work and the others tell you how. Besides, that's all the fun -- working on the car yourself.

Expect the shocks/springs to take five or six hours, when you include all of the work stoppages for discussions on matters not pertaining to the fix itself.

I would be beside myself with all of those parts just sitting there. I can help on a weekend, but not during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I hate to break the news to you, Sparky, but it is hard enough getting people together for lunch on a weekday, so I would not hold my breath for a tech day.

Also, it looks like you will be buying yourself lunch at Hooters, as the idea is that you do the work and the others tell you how. Besides, that's all the fun -- working on the car yourself.

Expect the shocks/springs to take five or six hours, when you include all of the work stoppages for discussions on matters not pertaining to the fix itself.

I would be beside myself with all of those parts just sitting there. I can help on a weekend, but not during the week.
    +1

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Alrighty then, plan for early January. Or I could just go to Midas. I'm not sure I trust you guys with my car
    Midas it is

Seriously, do you have any time off coming. Vacation, sick leave, therapy days? I'm thinking a Saturday in the near future is your best bet with this bunch of working stiffs.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'd like to be there. I need to replace my shocks, springs too I guess. Right now every bump in the road rattles my teeth, and I don't have dental coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    ...the idea is that you do the work and the others tell you how. Besides, that's all the fun -- working on the car yourself.
    I was kidding about that

I know I'll end up doing most of it myself. Hmm.. actually, I wonder why I need any of you guys anyway...

I AM beside myself

I just don't have weekends off, unless my possible promotion doesn't go through, then I'll have Sundays maybe. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Midas it is

Seriously, do you have any time off coming. Vacation, sick leave, therapy days? I'm thinking a Saturday in the near future is your best bet with this bunch of working stiffs.
    I need therapy, but I can't take off for it

And I've only been there for 6 months, so I don't have vacation. Trust me, I'd be taking it if I could.

I dunno. Maybe I really should just take it to a shop and forget about it.

Or sell it.

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I was kidding about that

I know I'll end up doing most of it myself. Hmm.. actually, I wonder why I need any of you guys anyway...

I AM beside myself

I just don't have weekends off, unless my possible promotion doesn't go through, then I'll have Sundays maybe. I dunno.

I need therapy, but I can't take off for it

And I've only been there for 6 months, so I don't have vacation. Trust me, I'd be taking it if I could.

I dunno. Maybe I really should just take it to a shop and forget about it.

Or sell it.

Stevan at www.miatasolutions.com is probably the cheapest. Trackdog racing is probably the fastest.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Stevan at www.miatasolutions.com is probably the cheapest. Trackdog racing is probably the fastest.
    And there is always Miata Technologies if you looking to get !

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    And there is always Miata Technologies if you looking to get !
    Or some free tools imbedded way inside the car somewhere, hidden, only to be found years later...

I'm usually off during the week and would love to come lend a hand. My garage space is a bit of a drive from your location though.

Depending on the method used to remove the front shocks, you can have them done in around 2 hours. I think I managed to do it in less one time but that was in spastic mode and you don't have to use a spring compressor to install coilovers or the FM springs!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast