Thread: Well, the curse continues...

Angry Well, the curse continues...

Well, after replacing the crank pulley and key about a year ago and using gobs of locktight the pos came loose again just enough to up the crank pulley, timing gear, crankshaft nose and break the key into 3 pieces! Worst part, I even checked the damn pulley about a week before.

What the hell is it with this damn car?! My 92 has been totaled and now a track car and beat to bloody hell and not a damn thing wrong with it. Every month it seems some little thing is wrong with my 90 and at least once every 6 months a big problem!

At least I already have a crankshaft in the garage...now for the other parts and to get the time and to pull the engine and fix it.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Sell it and get ya a nice Honda!

Or...... Take it apart and leave it in boxes in your garage....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Well pulling the motor in the morning and the spare parts motor I got last month for free just happens to have all the crank pully and timing gear parts I need.

Do I need to replace the crank bearings? They are still good but I'm putting in a new crankshaft.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Do I need to replace the crank bearings? They are still good but I'm putting in a new crankshaft.
    Always a good plan to replace the bearings when you replace the crankshaft.

Well, dropped the crank off to be checked, guy said it looks good with naked eye though. New bearings should be in by noon. Starting the engine removal process so if anyone is bored and wants to swing by 635/30 interchange let me know!

Well, ! I cannot get the timing gear off since part of the damn woodruff key is broken off inside. I can't get a pully puller on it, tried prying with screwdrivers and banging on it. Any ideas on how to get the key out and get the gear off? Guess I'm going to have to take it to a shop.

Man this suck hard core, and I'm not going to be able to use the girlfriend's car much since she starts a new job tomorrow.

Well, ! I cannot get the timing gear off since part of the damn woodruff key is broken off inside. I can't get a pully puller on it, tried prying with screwdrivers and banging on it. Any ideas on how to get the key out and get the gear off? Guess I'm going to have to take it to a shop.

Man this suck hard core, and I'm not going to be able to use the girlfriend's car much since she starts a new job tomorrow.
    Use a crow bar, or the claw part of the hammer. Seriously, that's what I did. Took a lot of prying, but it came off. I shattered that gear though, so be prepared to get another one (either spare parts, or ~$60 at the dealership)
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Get a pulley puller and use the valve cover bolts with some extra washers to get it off...

If that doesn't work then you'll have to do what I had to do with the 92 Smurf I had... Dremel 2 slots on opposing sides of the gear with cut off disks and use an air impact chisel to split the gear. DO NOT use a hammer and chisel... the air impact chisel is a lot more little bitty hits and is much easier on the bearings.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    ...or an RX8.
    Word.

M
    '04 Ti MSM

"Drive till you hear glass and smell sh**!"

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer View Post
    Or...... Take it apart and leave it in boxes in your garage....
    I've been working on an STi like that at work (in boxes), LOL

M
    '04 Ti MSM

"Drive till you hear glass and smell sh**!"