Thread: Finally got my car running again

Default Finally got my car running again

Well, it's been about a week since I first got it dropped onto the ground and driveable. Last Tuesday, I turned it over for the first time and started finding all the little stuff (like coolant leaks and forgetting to plug the ECU in ). Still waiting to send my ECU off, I am borrowing one right now so my car won't be down again when I do send it off.

Car is very strong, needs a better intake desperately though, especially when I get my ECU back. No oil leaks, no compression loss (it seems, compression test to come very soon), no lifter tap, no wierd stuff going on.

Except, I checked my oil level after approximately 200 miles of driving w/ 10w30 Valvoline (my break-in oil), and I was extremely low. So in went the 10w30 Mobil 1, and I am still burning oil. All of it is leaving the tail-pipe when I get on it hard. Very discouraging

So next up is to try Mobil 15-50, if that doesn't work, then I'll just carry a case of Castrol GTX 20-50 w/ me everywhere and put a quart in every day, lol.

This engine was in a turbo car (96 w/ 60k miles, all gaskets/seals done w/ the normal timing belt and water pump job). My only guess is bad rings, but w/ this mileage that doesn't seem right. The engine ran perfectly before being flipped.

Despite that, I am pretty happy with the motor setup I have. Hopefully this oil usage problem is fixed soon. I'm sure other people hate driving through my grey clouds, though it comes in handy when I get cut off
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Way to go Adam, sounds like it's coming along pretty good.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Default Re: Finally got my car running again

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    The engine ran perfectly before being flipped.
    As in Dukes of Hazzard Flipped?

Glad to hear you are up and running!

The guy was passing a truck on the shoulder for whatever reason. He hit boost (FM2 was on the car), the car got sideways and hit a 6-8" "curb", folding the wheels under the car. Luckily, the stitches on the belt tore and threw the guy into the passenger seat, as he didn't have a roll-bar and the car landed on it's top.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Yikes! Good reason to have a roll bar.

Glad to here you're up and running again. Seems like we have enough Miatas here in Arlington to start our own sub chapter.

As for the engine problem, I agree with trying the seafoam for the combustion areas. It sure cleans a car out. I would also recomend the Amsoil Engine Cleaner for in the crankcase, it's good stuff as well.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Congrats on the new car :)

Thanks for the tip on the Amsoil, I'll look into it. I'll have the cleanest engine around by the time I'm finished, lol
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Ches probaly has some in stock. Here's the link, http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/chemicals.htm

Chris

Chassis Designer

what's seafoam?
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

http://www.seafoamsales.com

Great stuff you can get it O’Rieley’s!

Autozone has it as well. The also carry some Redline products, too.