Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merry F----in' Christmas!

Default Merry F----in' Christmas!

My boys bikes were both stolen last night including the one my younger son bought with his Christmas money.

The other one was a rusty bike.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    My boys bikes were both stolen last night including the one my younger son bought with his Christmas money.
    How much did he spend on it? I'm sure everyone on here will chip in enough for him to buy a new one.

S.

Thumbs down

Where were the bikes at when they got swiped??

Mean people suck........ How could ya steal a kids bike!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That really sucks! Sorry to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Perhaps it was your mean neighbor being a dick?
    Or a nice one, my next door neighbor put my kids bike in his garage the other night when she "forgot" to put it away!

Crimes of opportunity. Someone is walking and wants to get somewhere faster. Check ditches/ravines/gulleys/creeks as that's where the PD tends to find them.

Sorry to hear that they got swiped. My kid lost 2 bikes that way by leaving them in the front yard. He cried but he also quickly learned to keep them in the back yard at night.

Do you have serial numbers that you can use to find them in the PD impound lot? They tend to collect a lot of bikes.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Or a nice one, my next door neighbor put my kids bike in his garage the other night when she "forgot" to put it away!
    One could hope... but there's already some animosity there.

One could hope... but there's already some animosity there.
    It happens, I'm the Jerk Neighbor on my street, it's more than job it's an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    How much did he spend on it? I'm sure everyone on here will chip in enough for him to buy a new one.

S.
    He spent $68 at Target on clearance. We'll go back today to see if we can find two more. That is a nice sentiment S. However, this is a lesson in responsibility. See below

Where were the bikes at when they got swiped??

Mean people suck........ How could ya steal a kids bike!
    We tell them to park the bikes in the back yard but one was on the side of the house and they other was on the front porch. Garage is off limits since there is no room with the cars in there.

The lesson here is they will have to help us replace them with the rest of the Christmas money. If we just bought them new bikes where is the lesson? We will also be buying locks and getting their Grandpa to build them a bike rack for the back yard.

Just another unexpected expense.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    My kid lost 2 bikes that way by leaving them in the front yard. He cried but he also quickly learned to keep them in the back yard at night.

Do you have serial numbers that you can use to find them in the PD impound lot? They tend to collect a lot of bikes.

RJ
    Sounds familiar. No serial number but we will on the next ones.
    ...and across the line.

Did you check with the neighbors yet?
    The asshat next door is a jerk but I don't think he's a thief. The one on the side of the house had been there for days (side of the house next to the nice neighbor)

I think it's pretty clear they were stolen since this wasn't the first time we had toys left in the yard. We are doing a police report but I don't expect anything from it.

Also checking with HO insurance but I imagine the deductible is more than new bikes.
    ...and across the line.

It happens, I'm the Jerk Neighbor on my street, it's more than job it's an adventure!
    I'm the one who turns in the trash can violations to the city (Fort Worth) and the trailer violations to the HOA. However, I also award Yard of the Month for the HOA.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Unhappy

Bummer.

srivendel has a very good thought, but your decision is the better choice, IMO.

Does Grandpa need help building the bike rack? I bet I can find some time to help somebody that is helping somebody to help themselves.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Bummer.

srivendel has a very good thought, but your decision is the better choice, IMO.

Does Grandpa need help building the bike rack? I bet I can find some time to help somebody that is helping somebody to help themselves.
    Grandpa lives in Wichita Falls. We need to figure out an inexpensive solution for outside bike storage. Ideally something to keep them covered. A tool shed would be ideal but not in the budget.

UPDATE!!!

The new bike was found at their school behind our house!

It was banged up with some scratches, a cracked reflector, a loose seat and crooked handlebars but at least he has it back. I keep on having to remind him of that fact when he comments on the damage. Seat and handle bars have been fixed by me.

It appears we have joy riders in the neighborhood.

The rusty old bike is still MIA. We'll check with the police next week to see if they picked it up.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    We need to figure out an inexpensive solution for outside bike storage.
    How about a motorcyle ground anchor?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    How about a motorcyle ground anchor?
    That would work better if the front wheel were cradled in the thing... a pair of stout bolt cutters and you'll still make off with the moto.

I think ours was a crime of convenience. If it had any lock on it I doubt we would have had an issue this time. We still need to be more crime conscious.
    ...and across the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast