Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a clutch problem? Troubleshoot

Default Is this a clutch problem? Troubleshoot

Another new guy question. Don't know much about troubleshooting clutch/tranny issues but; when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd, the clutch is slipping ( I guess) and the rpms go up. Is this a clutch problem? Or Slave cylinder? It seems to occur after the car has warmed up and been driven awhile. Thanks

Found the answer at miata.net. sounds like the clutch is going out. Seller said it was a slave cylinder leaking...

Slave cylinders are cheap to rebuild. You should try it before spending money on the clutch. You can get the rebuild kit from Autozone. Might as well do the master while you are at it, too.

Is the slave leaking???

I've got an oil leak that begins up near the valve cover and pretty much covers everything below, so I'm not sure if the slave cylinder leaks or not. Does this sound like that is the problem? Not sure how to trouble shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I've got an oil leak that begins up near the valve cover and pretty much covers everything below, so I'm not sure if the slave cylinder leaks or not. Does this sound like that is the problem? Not sure how to trouble shoot it.
    Seach CAS O-Ring for the oil leak.

On the slave pull the boot forward and see if it is wet behind the boot.

I think ya got a spent clutch, could be caused by the oil leak, how many miles on the car??
    Last edited by POS Racing; 12-30-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If it was a bad/leaky slave cylinder, wouldn't the clutch not disengage? When my clutch was slipping it ended up being a leaky main oil seal.

Contact Stevan Boyd at www.miatasolutions.com if you do need a clutch or any of that type of work.

Thanks for the links, sounds like its going to be the clutch. It looks like the CAS o ring is leaking also, but it has 155000 miles on it and the pedal play feels normal. It just revved way up while accelerating onto the service road yesterday.
    So what's a clutch job run? $400? $600? Looks like the shocks, which are sorely needed, will have to wait for now, dammit.

Going back over some older threads I'm now wondering if it might just be the slave cylinder. I did notice that the fluid level was awfully low. I'll be checking that out later today to see.

Worst case scenario=new clutch... $$$???

I dunno what a new clutch would cost, but rebuilding/replacing the slave cylinder is a cheap enough job that I'd certainly try that before dropping a whole lot more on a new clutch.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I've had my slave cylinder go out several times, it never did cause the engine to rev with no power to the wheels, like a slipping clutch. My guess is you'll need a new clutch. Stevan Boyd is the man to call.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

A bad clutch slave wouldn't cause the issues you are having. It would make it where the clutch would NOT pull away from the flywheel... You have a worn out clutch that just needs replacing... The low fluid level is a good indicator that the slave cylinder needs replacing too.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Chrck wit Gary At Track Dog Racing. He has a few different clutches available for you to choose from
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Took it out today and now cannot recreate the problem. I dogged it in every gear and on the highway too, can't get it to slip at all. Now I'm befuddled. Not complaining, just befuddled. Thinking at this point it is a hydraulic issue.

Lemme ask you this: if you're sitting still with the car in gear and the clutch on the floor, does the clutch ever start engaging to the point where it kills the motor? If so, that's a hydraulic problem. To my knowledge, a slipping clutch is not a symptom of a slave cylinder going out. Also, if the clutch is worn out, it will usually slip under the greatest load - ie: higher gears/lots of throttle.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth...

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Be sure you get that fixed and keep an Eye on your hoses. Oil getting on rubber will destroy them. It happened to me once after having a timing belt changed shortly after the oil on the hoses caused them to blow up and I was left on the side of the road with an overheated car.

Every experience I've had with clutches. The slave cylinder releases the pressure from the flywheel. If you had a problem with the slave cylinder your clutch would not disengauge and you'd have problems shifting gears. Now if when the clutch was changed and whoever did it had oil on his/her hands and it got on the plate that can cause the problems your experiencing which the clutch plate would need to be replaced and the flywheel cleaned off

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Every experience I've had with clutches. The slave cylinder releases the pressure from the flywheel. If you had a problem with the slave cylinder your clutch would not disengauge and you'd have problems shifting gears. Now if when the clutch was changed and whoever did it had oil on his/her hands and it got on the plate that can cause the problems your experiencing which the clutch plate would need to be replaced and the flywheel cleaned off
    I'll second all that and add what I mentioned before about the slave and/or master cylinder leaking down under pressure.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by sammm said months ago View Post
    If it was a bad/leaky slave cylinder, wouldn't the clutch not disengage?

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    Every experience I've had with clutches. The slave cylinder releases the pressure from the flywheel. If you had a problem with the slave cylinder your clutch would not disengauge and you'd have problems shifting gears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast