Thread: xbox networking question

Default xbox networking question

Alright techies, here is a question for you, and I bet it is a simple solution. I am trying to get my computer to see the xbox 360 so I can stream music and video to the xbox. I have the xbox connected by wire to a 2wire gateway/dsl modem. It is what SBC sent out in their kit. I can get the internet on both the computer and the xbox, but I cant get the computer to see the xbox on the network. What do I need to adjust in windows to get it to see the 360? I am using XP home btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Alright techies, here is a question for you, and I bet it is a simple solution. I am trying to get my computer to see the xbox 360 so I can stream music and video to the xbox. I have the xbox connected by wire to a 2wire gateway/dsl modem. It is what SBC sent out in their kit. I can get the internet on both the computer and the xbox, but I cant get the computer to see the xbox on the network. What do I need to adjust in windows to get it to see the 360? I am using XP home btw.
    Don't you have to run media extender on the PC?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Don't you have to run media extender on the PC?
    I have media player 11 running and under library it has an option for media sharing that is where you are supposed to select the xbox to allow it for sharing, but the computer doesnt see it.

I have media player 11 running and under library it has an option for media sharing that is where you are supposed to select the xbox to allow it for sharing, but the computer doesnt see it.
    Ahhh... right you are... I'll have to try that when I get home. It'll be silly... since my media server is also hooked to the same stereo & Tv.... But it should be cool.

Your PC and Xbox need to be on a private subnet... 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc. or Media sharing won't work. Also, I think that UPnP must be turned on on your PC. I'd wager that certain obnoxious firewalls might block UPnP traffic as well. Queue rant from Channelmaniac about the dangers of UPnP...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Can I get that in laymens terms? I have opened the neccesary ports on my router firewall, and have given the xbox the same subnet as the pc. How can I tell if it is private. Sorry about having to go back to the basics...

Can I get that in laymens terms? I have opened the neccesary ports on my router firewall, and have given the xbox the same subnet as the pc. How can I tell if it is private. Sorry about having to go back to the basics...
    Here's how you can tell if the UPnP stuff is running or not...

Open up a command prompt on your PC... (start/run and type in "cmd" then press enter - don't type in the quotes!) and at the command prompt type in:

net start "SSDP Discovery Service"

and press enter. You DO need to type in the quotes on that command. Not sure if XP is case sensitive but back in the day NT was.... so type it in exactly as shown.

If it says "starting...." and tells you the service has started then it was off. If it refuses to start it then the service may be disabled. If it says "The requested service has already been started" then it was already running.

Now if it was already running and you are running Zone Labs or some other type of software firewall then you might have to go in and tell it to let UPnP traffic through. If it wasn't running or if the service is disabled then let me know and I'll walk you through setting it up to start up automatically when you fire up the PC.

UPnP is evil but you should be OK running it at home behind your firewall.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

It is running, I am not using a software firewall other than what windows came with, and what the router came with.

It is running, I am not using a software firewall other than what windows came with, and what the router came with.
    Heh. This is good for a laugh. Windows Firewall blocks UPnP... Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions Tab, and make sure UPnP framework is checked.

As far as the private subnet... Which subnet did you put the PC and Xbox on? The numbers.

That is what the router gave the PC so I just changed the xbox to the same.

And UPnP is checked in windows firewall.

That is what the router gave the PC so I just changed the xbox to the same.

And UPnP is checked in windows firewall.
    That is your network mask... what's the ip address and the default gateway on the pc and on the xbox?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Computer: 192.168.1.64
    Xbox 192.168.1.65
    gateway for both 192.168.1.254