Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does your Miata do on ICE?

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Wow - a whole mile I used to walk 10 miles in the snow just to get to school, and it was uphill both ways.
    You, and every other
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I've driven a Miata in ice and it isn't fun but I'd rather be in it with it's 50/50 weight distribution, manual tranny and light weight than a 5,000lb SUV with a V8, Automatic and high center of gravity.
    Are you serious? 2 yrs ago when I actually saw ice on the roads (saw nothing last year...lucky I guess) I couldn't even get out from in front of my friends curb to go play in the huge parking lot up the street. Just rotated a few inches closer to the curb! I couldn't even spin out in the ice! OTH, we tried our hardest to get his AWD Explorer to spin out and barely got the back end to jiggle out a tad. A heavier car helps with traction unless of course you're hauling ass and hit a patch of ice or hydroplane, then it doesn't matter what car you're in. Especially if you have an aggressive alignment for track days, driving in heavy rain or ice is quite nerve racking in the Miata. I just put new tires on only a few weeks ago and it's still a chore to drive in really bad conditions like today.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Are you serious? 2 yrs ago when I actually saw ice on the roads (saw nothing last year...lucky I guess) I couldn't even get out from in front of my friends curb to go play in the huge parking lot up the street. Just rotated a few inches closer to the curb! I couldn't even spin out in the ice! OTH, we tried our hardest to get his AWD Explorer to spin out and barely got the back end to jiggle out a tad. A heavier car helps with traction unless of course you're hauling ass and hit a patch of ice or hydroplane, then it doesn't matter what car you're in. Especially if you have an aggressive alignment for track days, driving in heavy rain or ice is quite nerve racking in the Miata. I just put new tires on only a few weeks ago and it's still a chore to drive in really bad conditions like today.
    I know what you mean, I was terrified coming home from one of the Wednesday meets in the rain. My car was acting twitchy, the windows kept fogging up, and my exhaust was loud and annoying. I was bundled up under my coat with the heater full blast on 635 heading home... pouring rain... scary. I think I drove 50 most of the way back. Only hydroplaned once though...

But I love driving through city streets on ice
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I've driven a Miata in ice and it isn't fun but I'd rather be in it with it's 50/50 weight distribution, manual tranny and light weight...
    And summer tires. Don't forget the summer tires.

Enjoy your Miata. I'll take my 3500lb wannabe SUV with AWD, ABS, DSC, and M+S tires, thank you.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

[/quote]=I've driven a Miata in ice and it isn't fun but I'd rather be in it with it's 50/50 weight distribution, manual tranny and light weight than a 5,000lb SUV with a V8, Automatic and high center of gravity.[/quote]

unless your in a wide open parking log :-D now thats great fun. Especialy if you have someone brave enough to grab a rope and get on a skateboard without any wheels behind you.
    Last edited by MiataMike; 01-13-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Just for the record. I have driven some 35+ miles through ice to get to work before, while SUV's and trucks are doing 60+ I'm doing 20 or less. BTW the ones doing 60+ I would see them later IN A DITCH; but its always fun to watch that happen. Headlights Tail-lights Headlights Tail-lights Headlights Tail-lights Headlights Tail-lights, I laugh all the way to the ditch at those idiots.

Anyway, the miata isn't that bad as long as you don't go fast on the ice. The only real threat is the other idiots that think "ICE" isn't that big of a deal. Your best bet is to stay on the main roads becuase they get the most attention from the sand trucks

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    ...unless your in a wide open parking log :-D now thats great fun. Especialy if you have someone brave enough to grab a rope and get on a skateboard without any wheels behind you.
    E-brake turns and donuts in slick parking lots are ALWAYS FUN!

However, I see the latter sport ending very, very, very badly... I think the tail could wag the dog... yikes!

All's I can say is... I'd have to be good and liquored up before I even came NEAR that ski rope!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Well I was gonna tell you what it was like, but my boss just called and offered the night off. Since I dont work until Monday I should be good. I was gonna go get my new azenis put on, but I figured they would be worse on ice with the mold release than my worn hankooks.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    E-brake turns and donuts in slick parking lots are ALWAYS FUN!
    Hell yeah! Hard to find a safe place to do it but hitting the e-brake at speed and pulling off a 360 or more is tons of fun!

Drifting, what ya do having fun screwing around! I pitty tha fool who thinks Drifting is a sport!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Default Ice Catastrophy... '07

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Take your car out and bring your camera. I want pictures of the carnage.
    You know, I love my share of driving on slick stuff... But not in my little car! I'm with samm... he's tucked away till probably Wednesday.

M
    '04 Ti MSM

"Drive till you hear glass and smell sh**!"

Well, my buddy (lets call him "race car driver Dave" ) was bored last night, so I went over there with the Miata and let him drive. He had lots of fun, and set a new pucker factor of 34 for me. He's got some awesome car control skills.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Default Little Silver snowplow...

Middle of Montana, Freezing, snowing, trying to get home. I had driven most the day in this stuff then the nose just went away! When it went, it went quick! Oh-well, I'll be driving to work in the morning.
    Pictures
    (The tow truck driver made a car payment off of me that day!)
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Drifting, what ya do having fun screwing around! I pitty tha fool who thinks Drifting is a sport!
    I still haven't figured out how Drifting is a sport... How the hell can the object NOT be to get to the finish line before everybody else???

What a bunch of spares...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Oh boy. It's about time to go to work... I bet the roads are going to be a blast tonight
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Oh boy. It's about time to go to work... I bet the roads are going to be a blast tonight
    I just stepped out on to my deck in the backyard for a second... It is a slick as an ice rink. The roads should be really fun by morning.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The roads should be really fun by morning.
    Thankfully most bankers and county employees will be off tomorrow, which should make the roads safer!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Thankfully most bankers and county employees will be off tomorrow, which should make the roads safer!
    Yeah, but stupid me forgot that tomorrow was a bank holiday. I scheduled a doctors appointment for 8am thinking I would go straight to work after the appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Good thing the pool is heated... as well as your jacuzzi!!
    Mmmmm.... I wish I had a jacuzzi right now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast