Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How does your Miata do on ICE?

Got one, but I don't plan on running out 'half naked' in this weather.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Holy crap I hate Texas drivers! I spent a freakin hour parked just before the bridge over Lake Louisville because some 's decided to have a huge wreck! Most likely the same idiots that blew by me a few miles earlier by twice the speed I was going. People are just plain . At one point crossing one of the bridge overpasses on 35, I'm coasting across at 30mph and my car does a really nice cha cha cha swivel between the lines in my lane. So after seeing this the cars behind me make sudden lane changes and proceed to buzz me at probably 60 mph! Hmm, car ahead just hit ice and fishtailed, lets jerk the wheel to change lanes and speed by the guy driving on the damn line.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    ...just before the bridge over Lake Louisville...
    I thought it was spelled Lewisville, is it different spelling than the city?

Holy crap I hate Texas drivers!
    I'm a Texas driver. Be nice.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Holy crap I hate Texas drivers!
    You are included in that analysis ice-hole. Pack up your hockey gear in your little car and clickie on the linkie.

LINKIE

Thank you, please drive thru or away.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I had a fun drive this morning into work, I thought just because the turn lane fron Custer to the Bush access is blocked I can go around it and make a right. Thant part was ok, going 30 backwards looking at a suburbian was not as much fun. Overall I got to Las Colinas faster this morning than I did going home friday night.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    +1!

I've had some interesting drives in Miatas on snow and ice over the years, but the most notable was on New Years Eve 2000. I had bought a 2000 white Sport that morning, and was heading from Granbury to Bridgeport for the first annual "Pity the poor single guys party" at Morris & Lois' log cabin. There were some light flurries when I left, which got heavier and heavier. When I got to Weatherford, I had second thoughts as the car was doing lots of dancing coming up 171, but figured I was half-way so I might as well continue. It was pretty dark as I turned north on FM920, which is a VERY rural and lightly traveled windy road, and the accumulation of snow was getting deeper and deeper. It was also getting more and more difficult to see with the snow in the headlights. The further I drove, the worse it got, and my speed dropped by each mile as I could hardly see the road, until the last set of tire tracks turned into a little farm house. Now here I was, out it the freezing cold, not prepared at all for this (no blanket, nothing to eat, and no phone), but within ten miles of the cabin. Luckily, the tires had the maximum tread(new) and I cautously pushed ahead. I remember coming over the top of a hill and seeing nothing but white, and hoped the road didn't turn. It did, but I caught a glimpse of a culvert marker just in time to keep me on the road. Now I was creeping along, and the Miata plunged forward until I saw the lights of civilization, and some new tire ruts. I breathed a sigh of relief and made it to Lake Bridgeport, and the safety of the car port next to Morris' garage.

As I got out of the car, Morris & Lois came out to greet me and Lois said "Look, it looks Frosty the Snowman". I turned toward the car, covered in ice and snow, and I said "I guess we know her name......". Needless to say, I spent the night and half of New Years Day 2001 in the cozy cabin. The other guest called and asked if he should attempt the drive from Fort Worth and I told him to stay home. His 96R is lowered with wider tires, both of which would make the trek even more difficult. After that night, a little ice and snow never bothered me too much in Miatas, but this weekend Sunny stayed parked and I drove the 6 with the heated seats, traction control, and FWD.

Lucky I have nothing to do today, it just got alot worse out here. The low was 13 last night, and if you take those pics I posted earler and add about 2" of snow and ice on top of that, that is what its like outside now.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I thought it was spelled Lewisville, is it different spelling than the city?

I'm a Texas driver. Be nice.
    Doh! I refed sooo many hockey games this weekend, I was so tired and hungry when I posted that!

You are included in that analysis ice-hole. Pack up your hockey gear in your little car and clickie on the linkie.

LINKIE

Been there, done that a few times...no thanks! I'd have to sell my suspension to live in that crater, I meant city. Besides, Texas is stealing all the good hockey players! Texas teams are kicking everyone's asses in several age divisions, including the North American Hockey Association with the Tornados! Damn you even removed the hockey smiley!

No true offense intended, but you cannot argue against Southern driving and inclement weather. Most likely related to the serious lack of driver's education in the state of Texas and the fact so many illegals are behind the wheel. For example, I paid $75 for a box of vhs tapes and a few workbooks I was supposed to watch and fill out. My parents signed off with their perfect driving record and I got my license. Absolutely no driving test! Luckily my parents did actually teach me and make me read the driving manual and laws, but imagine the majority of the public who does not. Now you see why so many are poor drivers, not just in the South btw. My girlfriend from Ohio had a pretty involved driver's ed course. They even had a special lot and car set up to learn how a car reacts in spin out!

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Man today was a ton of fun at 6am! i got to drive retarded on highways. kind of made me want to call in to work to act a fool, and practice drifting today :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Man today was a ton of fun at 6am! i got to drive retarded on highways. kind of made me want to call in to work to act a fool, and practice drifting today :)
    You still need brakes to drift. Good luck with the "controlled slide".

Well it had to happen to someone, Smacked the wall on PGB on the way to F#%%$& work today. Pics to come soon, just need bumper, spoiler, and headlight on Drivers side. I hope the Quater panel is Still straight.

F&^%

Eeeeep! That sucks man!
    You weren't on boost were you?!

All the damage on my car was from when it iced last year.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That blows. Sorry to hear it.

As Promised

Probably going to Caliber Collisions, as they did a good job on the Si when it was hurt(once a year for 6 years)

But any recomendations will be checked with USAA

I don't think Glenn is going to be able to help you out with that..........and yes FP&B has a very good rep in the area. Small shop and attention to detail makes them very busy.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast