Thread: New Tax Rules

Default New Tax Rules

Important reading.

The IRS has significantly tightened its rules on charitable deductions for 2007.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Important reading.

The IRS has significantly tightened its rules on charitable deductions for 2007.

S.
    Yet another government for all of us.

We were always careful to keep receipts... now we have to have larger ticket items appraised?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Seems fair to me. I've known people to donate old junker cars and them claim a hugely ridiculous "fair market value" for said car on their taxes. I'm a firm believer in using all of the available loopholes, but there is a huge difference between taking advantage of allowable deductions and blatant lying on your taxes.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

What are you talking about? My Ford Pinto was worth $55k

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Seems fair to me. I've known people to donate old junker cars and them claim a hugely ridiculous "fair market value" for said car on their taxes. I'm a firm believer in using all of the available loopholes, but there is a huge difference between taking advantage of allowable deductions and blatant lying on your taxes.
    Spoken like I man who was a student the last tax year he filed for! I actually agree with you, but it sure is harder to swallow when you have a Texas sized tax bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Spoken like I man who was a student the last tax year he filed for! I actually agree with you, but it sure is harder to swallow when you have a Texas sized tax bill.
    +1. I agree that larger items should be itemized, but making you account for every pair of socks you give to Good Will seems like overkill, and an accounting headache for the entire universe. Tax fraud is an issue, and everyone should pay their fair share, but making grandpa account for the $20 he threw in the collection plate at church is rough.

S.

Yeah, I agree with that but on the other hand maybe the government should try to alleviate the tax burden on the people who would most likely be committing such offense. I'm pretty damned conservative but am reconsidering my stance on tax cuts. When a 17 yr old hs senior get a $2.00 tax return and must pay several hundred the following year during his first year of college something ain't right ya know!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Uhh.. no. I've never had a typical college student's income or taxes. Don't forget that I was married with a house, mortgage, investment portfolio from my previous career that had been leveraged to pay for school, etc., during my years as a "college student". I assure you I paid plenty of taxes while finishing my undergraduate degree.

As for the accounting headache - if you're really irritated by the idea of keeping track of every $10 bill you toss in the collection plate at church for your taxes, maybe you've forgotten why you're throwing those bills in there in the first place.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

- if you're really irritated by the idea of keeping track of every $10 bill you toss in the collection plate at church for your taxes, maybe you've forgotten why you're throwing those bills in there in the first place.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

As for the accounting headache - if you're really irritated by the idea of keeping track of every $10 bill you toss in the collection plate at church for your taxes, maybe you've forgotten why you're throwing those bills in there in the first place.
    Better seats in the auditorium up above?

Well,

One thing is for sure.

I hate giving 50% of my money to the government!!!

35% up front to the federal.

8.25% to the state for sales tax.

And then there is property tax, lisencing fees and misc. other stuff.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Thanks for the reminder. I thought paying the church $10 to get a $3 tax break sounded like a great scheme!

S.