Thread: Body Work, Cost, Location?

Default Body Work, Cost, Location?

Hey everyone - new to the forum, was referred from Miata.net.

Long story short: my car was scraped in a parking lot in downtown Dallas. They didn't leave a note, but a witness saw what happened, wrote down the plates of the truck, and left a way to contact him.

1) The police want me to get a written estimate on how much it would cost to repair a moderate scrape to the driver's side door. Where's a good place near Arlington or Euless to have body work done? How long does it take? The car's black; would that save money since they wouldn't have to match the paint? (Or are their different shades of black paint for cars?) Ballparking it, how expensive do you all suppose it would be? I can post an image if it would help.

2) How much should I reward this guy? He doesn't have a phone and keeps trying to get me to meet him at the Main St. Café, and the café owner referred to the witness as a "street guy", so he may be homeless or just fallen on hard times.

There's no guarantee that talking to him will help the situation. In the end, it would be his and my word against theirs, and I'm not even sure if it would be worth pursuing legal action, or if the Dallas P.D. is very good at taking care of these sorts of things. It's possible, if he is a "street guy", that he made the story up so I'd give him a reward. Or he may be the culprit and may be trying to blame someone else.

Incidentally, my Miata's a 99 and has its share of small dents and scrapes. I've concidered taking it to a body shop to have them all fixed, but imagined it would cost a fortune. This scrape is big enough though that I really need to get it taken care of. It's made by a truck's bumper, after all...

The folks at Metroplex Auto Body do decent work. Quick and easy estimates also!

Metroplex Auto Body
    3215 W Euless Blvd
    Euless, TX 76040
    (817) 283-2801

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

IIRC Collins Body Shop on Cooper does excellent work and comes highly recommended.

Sorry for your troubles. Welcome to the forum
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Ouch,I wish you luck. I'd think the police could talk to the "street guy" and get the info. You shouldn't have to do that part of it. If he's stepped forward, why didn't they get the info. from him? If the repairs are over your deductible, I'd think about using insurance. Hit and run....?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

as for the small dents do a search on PDR party's here and you will find soneone with Glenn's info, He is amazing
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I decided to reward the street guy with $10 after discovering he really was just some homeless guy who hangs out near the cafe. Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch him.

The detective hasn't been very active in contacting me regarding the case. Perhaps that's because I still haven't gotten an estimate. Or... maybe he just has more important things to do. :)