Thread: Tivo hacking questions

Default Tivo hacking questions

I just got my first Tivo and i'm excited but know nothing about hacking it and would feel dumb asking this on a tivo forum. I think i remember seeing people talking about the tivo here in the past so thats why i'm asking.

I have a series 2 tivo with lifetime membership that my cousin just gave to me because she didnt use it at all.

can i get a bigger hard drive? can i add an external hard drive. how do i pull programs off of it to burn to cd/dvd? is there any other cool stuff i could do with it? since i have a lilfetime membership on it should i worry about hacking it at all?

i'm in the dark on this one but for some reason i just cant seem to leave good enough alone.

thanks in advance :)
    2012 VW GTI
    4 Door White

Be prepared to read a while if you are just getting started... they aren't real tollerant to newbies...

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/index.php?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

The life time membership is associated withthe serial number of the device. You can hack to your hearts content and it will not effect that.

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/

Quote Originally Posted by chucka View Post
    can i get a bigger hard drive? can i add an external hard drive. how do i pull programs off of it to burn to cd/dvd? is there any other cool stuff i could do with it? since i have a lilfetime membership on it should i worry about hacking it at all?

i'm in the dark on this one but for some reason i just cant seem to leave good enough alone.

thanks in advance :)
    Yes, you can get a bigger drive - or add a second one if your box only has one. I got the instructions I used on www.tivocommunity.com

Connect your TiVo to your home network, and use it to view digital photos (meh) and listen to MP3's stored on your PC (awesome). You can also get Yahoo! Weather and Traffic and buy movie tickets through Fandango.

You can pull programs off it using TiVo ToGo software (PC-only) - a free download from TiVo.com Use your DVD-burner on your PC to archive.
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    Yes, you can get a bigger drive - or add a second one if your box only has one. I got the instructions I used on www.tivocommunity.com

Connect your TiVo to your home network, and use it to view digital photos (meh) and listen to MP3's stored on your PC (awesome). You can also get Yahoo! Weather and Traffic and buy movie tickets through Fandango.

You can pull programs off it using TiVo ToGo software (PC-only) - a free download from TiVo.com Use your DVD-burner on your PC to archive.
    Tivo to go was exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.

i did read about playing the mp3's and looking at pics from the computer in the instrucion book. that's pretty cool too

if i dont want to open my tivo box up to change harddrives or add one, can i use an external usb hard drive for it? i have a 1tb external i dont really use for anything and it would be great if i could use it for this.

thanks for the help everyone!!
    2012 VW GTI
    4 Door White

i have a 1tb external i dont really use for anything and it would be great if i could use it for this.

If you can't use it with the tivo and it has firewire 800 connections I might be interested if it is for sale
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Tivo to go was exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.

i did read about playing the mp3's and looking at pics from the computer in the instrucion book. that's pretty cool too

if i dont want to open my tivo box up to change harddrives or add one, can i use an external usb hard drive for it? i have a 1tb external i dont really use for anything and it would be great if i could use it for this.

thanks for the help everyone!!
    I may be wrong, but I believe the only easy use of the USB port is for a network adapter - wired or wireless. I do not believe you can do a USB drive - but check around on tivocommunity
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe the only easy use of the USB port is for a network adapter - wired or wireless. I do not believe you can do a USB drive - but check around on tivocommunity
    thanks, will do. i'm at work right now and dont have time to read up too much on it, and my internet doesnt get turned on at my new house until monday, so i guess i'll wait till then

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    If you can't use it with the tivo and it has firewire 800 connections I might be interested if it is for sale
    It may be a possibility that i may sell it. it is a LaCie brand hard drive with 3 different connections. USB, Firewire, and some other type of faster Firewire that came out.
    here is a link to it
    http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Extreme-.../dp/B000AZGWX4
    2012 VW GTI
    4 Door White