Thread: Chrysler eyes diesel minivans for U.S.

Default Chrysler eyes diesel minivans for U.S.

For all those diesel folks around here, I would hope to see this automobile become a reality.

Linkie

Minivan.jpg
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I'd rather see some diesel-powered small and mid-range SUVs. Give me a CR-V with a 30+mpg and a 5000-lb. towing capacity.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'd rather see some diesel-powered small and mid-range SUVs. Give me a CR-V with a 30+mpg and a 5000-lb. towing capacity.
    You can get a Liberty with a diesel.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Or even better a Grand Cherokee!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Or even better a Grand Cherokee!
    How about a VW Touareg TDI.

V10 533 ft/lbs of torque and probably best friend to the service department.

ForSale

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    How about a VW Touareg TDI. V10 533 ft/lbs of torque and probably best friend to the service department.
    Awesome vehicle, but the price is not so great.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    How about a VW Touareg TDI.

V10 533 ft/lbs of torque and probably best friend to the service department.
    If I was to get a Diesel one of the key criteria would be it would need to run on a regular basis, so I guess the VW is out.

Plus $59K for a Two-Rag TDI no thanks!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 02-12-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    The Liberty CRD goes away for '07. I looked at one before we bought the CR-V, but the general cruddiness of the Liberty kept me away at the time. Last year, I had a Liberty as a rental for a week, and we used it as a support vehicle for the Houston Tour. Compared to the CR-V (which we'd used as a support vehicle for Walnut Ridge just a few weeks earlier), the Liberty had waaaay less useful cargo capacity, and it was just a real sh!tbox by comparison. It rode like a truck, it stopped like a truck, and the interior was teh suck, in terms of materials, build quality, and layout. Living with one for a week made me miss the CR-V, and it completely reaffirmed our decision to buy the Honda over the Jeep.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

While waiting on my car tires to be replaced at Eldorado Motors, I looked at one. I have to agree. The rear bench was the worst bench seat I have ever sat in. There was no denying the shoddy workmanship in the materials. It would be nice to find a wrecked model to take the engine and tranny out and place in a small truck from Nissan or Toyota, though.

I really wanted to get a small sized pickup and held on to my 82 Chevy Luv Diesel for years after I would have liked. I finally traded it in in 1999 for a Nissan Frontier. It had 285,000 miles on the engine and still ran pretty good. A guy I knew from my previous job had 450,000 on his and was still running on the original engine. Mine was a rust box with beuty bumps(hail damage) all over it.

I like diesels, but I haven't heard anything good about the one Chrysler currently puts in their minivans.

The diesel Liberty was poorly done, only 1 or 2 mpg better than the gas version, and the reviewers thought it was a real dog performance wise.

Why DCM didn't have Cummings build them a decent engine is beyond me, and the general build quality of Chrysler products is enough to scare me off of them for life. Imagine a tinkery Italian diesel engine with the legendary crappy minivan transmissions...

My dad owned an Isuzu diesel pickup that wouldn't die, and a GM V6 they put in the Celebrity. I've owned 2 VW diesels, a GM 6.5 V8 and currently drive a 7.3 V8 F250.

With the electronic management of the newer diesel engines and the emission controls, the legendary diesel durability is long gone, and much of the economy is gone too.
    Last edited by pliablemoose; 02-12-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一