Thread: Gearshift knob stuck like stink on $**%!

Default Gearshift knob stuck like stink on $**%!

I'm putting in a new headunit, and replacing the worn out tranny boots. The knob will NOT come off, not yet anyways. How much torque can I put on this thing with a wrench? In other words, do I have to worry about breaking off the gearshift shaft or anything else down in the tranny?
    I wonder if a PO used some epoxy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I'm putting in a new headunit, and replacing the worn out tranny boots. The knob will NOT come off, not yet anyways. How much torque can I put on this thing with a wrench? In other words, do I have to worry about breaking off the gearshift shaft or anything else down in the tranny?
    I wonder if a PO used some epoxy or something.
    I think you may need to apply a little NMC™ to it. You're not likely to break anything, but anything is possible. Is it the OEM knob? Did you buy your car from Miata Technologies?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

+ 1 on the stock knob question.

If it's not stock it may have a set screw (or 2 or 3) that have been tightened down on it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Did you buy your car from Miata Technologies?

2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Have you put the channel locks on it yet? I wouldn't worry about hurting anything inside the gearbox. I think you'd be more likely to break the plastic knob loose from the threads inside before you did any damage to the shaft - unless the shaft has a rubber isolator built into it (I'm not sure how the Miata shaft is made, but old RX7s have a two-piece shaft - picture a male end sticking up from the tranny, topped by the female end with the knob attached, bonded together with rubber kinda like a motor mount). I had a similar experience with an old, crusty RX7. I tore up the knob getting most of it off, THEN I tore the rubber isolator inside the shaft trying to get the remnants of the knob off. I found a whole new assembly at a junkyard for $10 so it wasn't a huge deal. That's my 2 cents...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

It is the stock knob. I wasn't sure if I needed to brace the shaft while I wrenched the knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Hehehe...
    That was DEFINITELY NOT PG-13... funny... but not pg-13.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Well??

Did you get it figured out?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Well??

Did you get it figured out?
    Yeah, well?

Just grab your knob with both hands and twist like crazy... you may want want to grab the shaft to steady it.

Chrissake...

use a torch. it wont hurt anything. its just your interior :P

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    you may want want to grab the shaft to steady it.