Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flyin' Miata Dinner, 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Cool pics, those 7's are sweet! Not too fond of the bare metal panels though. Man that one guy's 7 is slick! What motor is in that black one? Those were individual throttle bodies right?
    The Black car is running a CBR900RR. The red one is running a 1600 Toyota SR5. The orange car is running a 1.6 Miata Drivetrain, with 11:1 compression, IRTBs, and a LINK ECU.

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Those are some cool rides! I wish I could have made. I like the orange one the best. I have only seen one other of these up close.... At Alamo they had one that was powered with a focus motor. It was pretty cool but these ones looked better!

Not too fond of the bare metal panels though.
    Blasphemy!!!

I actually think they have less character all painted.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Thanks to everyone who came! FM appreciated all the support. I can't wait to read the Grassroots article about the Lo Cost vs. the 2 Ariel Atoms out at Eagle Canyon. It was a fun day and the drivers were very impressed with Keith's Lo Cost.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I had a blast. It was nice meeting some of the brains behind the parts.

I want one now.

The amazing one was this one. The guy built it himself. When I say built it, I mean fabricated. Total cost - $4,000

It's doner was a t-boned Corrola SR-5 that he got for $300.

...and across the line.

Lot's of cool details on the Corolla powered Lo-cost... Cool stuff...

My apologies to you kids that had your hopes up on my photos, as I was having more fun looking at the cars... But here's what turned out.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Lot's of cool details on the Corolla powered Lo-cost... Cool stuff...

My apologies to you kids that had your hopes up on my photos, as I was having more fun looking at the cars... But here's what turned out.
    Those are some good looking pics.... It doesn't look like you took a lot of pictures but the ones you did came out great.

I also like the new headlights Blackroadster was sporting. I definitely need to get a set of those!

Thanks to both of you for the photos. I knew I would be driving past there at 7:15 or so and intended to leave 30 minutes early to have time to look at the cars and say hi. Ultimately I left home even later than usual and just snuck through the parking lot on my way to a previous committment.

That black/CF Locost looks wicked!

And did one of them have a paddle-mounted shifter? Was kind of transmission did it have?
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Several had mentioned that they were not familiar with a Lotus Eleven when it was mentioned that a Westfield replica of one might show up. It didn't make it, so I thought I would post some pics of them for those that didn't know what it was.

This is a Lotus Eleven:

This is a Westfield 11:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    That black/CF Locost looks wicked!

And did one of them have a paddle-mounted shifter? Was kind of transmission did it have?
    That was the black one. It had a CBR 900 engine and I believe the paddles where running the CBR transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    That was the black one. It had a CBR 900 engine and I believe the paddles where running the CBR transmission.
    Yup, that's what the owner said. It is a really slick setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Red View Post
    I also like the new headlights Blackroadster was sporting. I definitely need to get a set of those!
    Thanks. Just finished up the Angel Eye mod yesterday. Seems to be a love it or hate it thing but I like them.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Thanks. Just finished up the Angel Eye mod yesterday. Seems to be a love it or hate it thing but I like them.
    They're much more impressive in person than they were off the car, in concept, or even in the photos. I wasn't impressed until I saw them on the car, and I think they're a very appropriate addition.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

They're much more impressive in person than they were off the car, in concept, or even in the photos. I wasn't impressed until I saw them on the car, and I think they're a very appropriate addition.
    Thanks TC. I think a few folks had your same reaction. Once I saw them on the car, I knew I had to figure out a way to finish them. My only concern is how they'll hold up to the elements. Time will tell.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Blasphemy!!!

I actually think they have less character all painted.

Meh, I don't think so. I think of all the ricers that install body kits or carbon fibre hoods/deck lids and forget to paint them!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Meh, I don't think so. I think of all the ricers that install body kits or carbon fibre hoods/deck lids and forget to paint them!
    It's kinda different when you HAND FORM your own hood out of a sheet of aluminum... != rice

It's kinda different when you HAND FORM your own hood out of a sheet of aluminum... != rice
    That's pretty cool! I'm just saying IMO, I don't like some panels painted and some not. Now if it's a rocker panel that's bare metal that would look good, again IMO. Now if the entire car was bare metal or silver, like my personal favourite car a Porsche 550 spyder, then I would love it.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

You can't go with all unpainted panels when the car is half aluminum and half fibreglass :) You save about 2 lbs by not painting the alloy, and for some of us it's how the car is supposed to look - I never thought of going any other way. But others like them all painted. If you build your own car, you make it look the way you want it to and ignore everyone else :)

The car that Black Roadster posted is actually a Westfield, with a 100% 'glass body. They're always completely painted.

Anyhow, it was really good to see everyone. I didn't get a chance to talk to everybody, but I had fun chatting with those I did. It was sure a lot more fun than hanging out at our crappy hotel at the side of the highway! Sorry I couldn't offer rides, but that's how it goes sometimes. It took us about 15 hours to get home the next day...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast